Future Digital Services is a significant project to modernise IT for the whole public sector, including Health, Education as well as frontline services such as the Police IT systems.
What is the Future Digital Services (FDS) programme?
- Out-of-date and uncoordinated technology across all Committees in the States has been well reported over recent years and has a real day-to-day impact on both customers and staff. The FDS programme will deliver a dramatic improvement in technology used by the States of Guernsey which will give the community better and easier access to public services.
Why do we need FDS?
- We have a legacy of poor investment in technology which has been built in silos, often lacking appropriate contract management. The absence of an overarching strategy has led to thousands of individual applications, often customised to a point beyond our ability to maintain. Many are operating beyond their expected lifespan and are working on a network that is now stretched to breaking point.
- In addition, digital transformation is essential if the States is to deliver its strategic goals. At present, the States does not have the capacity or capability to deliver the level of transformation planned or the ability to rapidly access the necessary expertise.
- Without a secure technology foundation we cannot deliver the services our public deserve; we cannot meet the expectations of a modern workforce; and we will fail to deliver the full potential of the policies being developed by the States.
Who will deliver the FDS programme?
- Over the last two years, the States have run a complex procurement exercise to identify an IT delivery model capable of providing the services we require.
- On 18 April 2019, a 2 year procurement process reached a key milestone with a consortium led by Agilisys Limited, a leading UK based technology company, being appointed as the Preferred Bidder for the digital transformation and future delivery of the States' IT services.
- The decision to appoint Agilisys was taken following a full evaluation process that included detailed scoring, two cycles of moderation and formal evaluation by the Chief Executive's Senior Leadership Team and the FDS Project Board. Agilisys Limited intends to set up Agilisys Guernsey Limited to manage the relationship with the States of Guernsey and with its partners.
- Agilisys' experience will be critical in facilitating and accelerating the States' wider transformation ambitions by providing cutting edge technology solutions and improving States access to resource and expertise. This includes support for the Public Service Reform framework where a savings target of £26m for the States of Guernsey is set to be achieved by 2021.
- The decision to enter into this partnership ultimately rests with the States of Deliberation. As such, the Policy & Resources Committee will publish a policy letter in May 2019 to enable a debate on the matter in June 2019.