Applying for a duplicate driving licence (if yours is lost or stolen)
If one or both parts of your driving licence is lost or stolen, you will need to:
- submit a completed driving licence application form;
- if you have not previously had your identity verified, submit your original passport OR a completed Identity Verification Form. If you are submitting an ID verification form you will also need to bring your birth certificate. If you post in your original passport, it will be returned to you via recorded delivery. (If your identity has already been verified, a date will have been inserted in section 14 on the back of the plastic part of your driving licence);
- pay a £30 fee for the replacement of a driving licence.
- You will be issued with a new driving licence card and a new paper counterpart.
- The dates on the duplicate driving licence will remain the same so your driving licence will still expire the same date as previously.
- If the missing driving licence subsequently comes into your possession, you should securely destroy it or return it to Edward T Wheadon House.
Duplicate driving licence - online applications
- Check if you are eligible for an online account by completing the following enquiry form: https://gov.gg/trafficonlineservices
- Online application process:
- If you have already set up an account, login to https://traffic.gov.gg;
- Enter your driving licence number (if you have lost your licence number, enter your email address instead) and your password;
- If you have forgotten your password, please click on the "Forgot password?" link and follow the reset instructions;
- If you are unsure if you have set up your account, please contact us at https://gov.gg/trafficonlineservices (stating that you require a duplicate driving licence) and we will advise you if you are eligible for online services.
- To complete the application online you will require:
- A debit or credit card to pay the £30 fee
- A recent digital photograph of yourself (to passport specifications) that you can upload. Alternatively, if you are using a mobile device with a camera you can take a selfie.