Our shared vision is to work together with parents and each other in the States and private sectors so we can provide the very best education and care for the children in the Bailiwick.
We aim to nurture young children so they are confident, happy and excited to learn. We hope our children will grow up to be caring and productive members of our society.
Children who experience high quality early years provision are well placed to achieve better outcomes throughout their school life and beyond into employment.
Early Years Quality Standards Framework
- All pre-schools and day nurseries work to the Early Years Quality Standards Framework (EYQSF), 2018. A copy of the Framework is available to download here: Early Years Quality Standard Framework [2Mb]. The EYQSF sets out the requirements for all providers and will help to focus on raising and sustaining a consistent quality of early year's experiences for our children and families.
- Pre-school education in the Bailiwick is predominantly provided by the private sector and any children can attend private pre-schools before starting school.
- In Guernsey and Alderney we work to secure an equality of opportunity, to develop a culture of support, reflection and empowerment within the Early Years Sector.
Pre-school Education Fund (PSEF)
- The year before children go to school (Reception year) they are entitled to free, quality, pre-school provision for up to 15 hours per week, 38 weeks a year (term time only), supported by the States of Guernsey.
- This entitlement is being delivered through a partnership with private providers. A list of pre-school and day nurseries who offer the entitlement can be found here: PSEF Providers List [267kb]
- The Assembly agreed to the funding for the implementation of the entitlement following a debate in November 2015. The proposals were amended with regards to the detail of funding sources and a cap set on entitlement to only those with a joint household income of £150,000 or less.
- Quality measures have been put in place and can be found here: key performance indicators
- Please read a copy of the Parent/Carer leaflet on how to apply for your free pre-school entitlement, you can download the leaflet here: PSEF Parent/Carer Leaflet [574kb] . A copy of the Parent Declaration Form can be found by following this link: Parent/Carer Declaration Form - Free Early Years Funding [562kb]
- Please look at the Frequently Asked Questions for further information FAQ [269kb]
Information for Pre-schools and Day Nurseries
- Under this section we have included useful links which pre-schools and day nurseries may require, any other links can be found in the additional information/useful downloads section at the bottom of this page.
- The States Early Years Team Blog is produced as a way of communicating all updates with the pre-schools and day nurseries on a half termly basis. The Blogs are full of information from ourselves and our partners. If you wish to be added to the distribution list, please contact us.
- SENCO Network Information
- Duration Record [215kb]
- Example Policy for Understanding and Responding to Biting [279kb]
- Event Recording Frequency Behaviour Count Form [219kb]
- My Development Plan [319kb]
- SEN Register Template [322kb]
- STAR Template [177kb]
- Building Positive Relationships with Younger Children [58kb]
- Calming and Regulating Activities for Pre-Schoolers [194kb]
- Meltdown vs Tantrum [94kb]
- Hand and Finger Activities for Preschoolers [1Mb]
- Growth Mindset and Young Children [607kb]
- PSEF Information
Information for Childminders
Information for Parents
Additional Information/useful downloads
- This section provides additional documents and information that you may find useful.
- Minimum standards for creches
- Minimum standards for out of school care
- A guide to your child's learning and development in the early years foundation stage What to Expect, When? [2Mb]
- Following on from the Alderney Early Years and Childcare Offer Questionnaire in 2018 , the document for your information can be found here Summary [478kb]
Links to Articles and Research
- This section is to provide articles and research around the following areas:
- Environment & Resources
- Communication & Language
- Physical Development
- Early Years Learning & Development
- Child Devlopment
Training and Development