The States Analytical Laboratory has been providing analytical services in Guernsey since the 1940s.
The team of highly skilled analysts undertakes chemical, microbiological and crop biological testing and proudly serves a range of clients, including businesses of varying size from across the Channel Islands, States of Guernsey Committees and private individuals.
The States Analyst's Laboratory is a United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) accredited testing laboratory, number 1749, with much of its work meeting the exacting requirements of BS EN ISO/IEC 17025:2005.
What do we do?
- At present, we typically do tests on the following types of samples:
- Drinking water from public and private supplies
- Stream water
- Swimming pool and spa pool waters
- Tip Leachate
- Plant tissue, plant sap and other crop biological samples, Horticulture-Related Services.
- A full list of current tests can be seen here.
Where are we?
- We are located in Longue Rue (Burnt Lane), St Martin's (on the same site as Raymond Falla House).
- We are open from 9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. It is generally advisable to call us to discuss your enquiry in the first instance (tel. 01481 707612).
Our quality assurance standards
- Many of our tests are accredited against BS EN ISO/IEC 17025:2005, which demands an enhanced quality of service. The schedule here indicates the tests for which we are UKAS accredited. More information on UKAS can be found here. We endeavour to expand this to provide our clients with the highest quality of service across all of our work, whether or not the specific test is formally accredited.
- The standard of service supplied is aided and monitored by use of our comprehensive quality management system.
- We work to continually improve the effectiveness of our management system through:
- Ongoing audit of all aspects of the system
- Structured, regular management review
- Participation in external proficiency testing schemes
Samples for analysis
- It is important that samples are submitted in the correct size and type of container. Some containers also need to be sterile.
- If you are thinking about using the laboratory, please contact us in advance. We do not provide an actual sampling service, but can give you some advice about how to take a sample, provide you with a suitable container and schedule a mutually convenient time to receive your sample for analysis.
- Samples brought in for analysis must be accompanied by a completed 'Sample Submission Form' - see the Downloads section. For Legionella and shellfish samples detailed guidance is available in the Downloads section.
- In addition to sample analysis, we can provide advice and assistance on a range of crop biological matters Horticulture - Related Services page, including site visits where appropriate.
- The States Analyst can also provide technical advice on a range of scientific issues.