There is no fee to notify us of a change of name, address and/or gender.
To update your name and/or address on your driving licence you must:
- Submit both the card and paper counterpart of your driving licence (both full and provisional licences, if applicable) with your new name and/or address completed on the back of the paper counterpart. If you cannot supply the paper part of your driving licence, please complete a Change of Details Form [161kb]. If you have lost the card part of your driving licence, you will have to apply and pay for a duplicate driving licence.
- If you have not previously had your identity verified, submit your original passport OR a completed Identity Verification Form. If you are submitting an ID verification form you will also need to bring your birth certificate. If you post in your original passport, it will be returned to you via recorded delivery. If your identity has already been verified, a date will have been inserted in section 14 on the back of the plastic part of your driving licence.
- If you have changed your name, provide proof e.g. marriage certificate, enrolled deed poll, passport showing new name, divorce papers, statutory declaration (via an advocate).
To update your gender on your driving licence, we require you to submit both the card and paper counterpart of your driving licence, along with one of the following as evidence:
- Passport (provided it has been updated to reflect the change);
- Gender recognition certificate;
- New birth certificate or adoption certificate showing your gender;
- Statutory declaration (via an advocate);
- Letter from your doctor or medical consultant confirming that the change of gender is likely to be permanent.
- If changing your name as well, you will also need to follow the above information for change of name and/or address.
Separately, you may also need to update your Vehicle Registration Certificate.
Further advice and assistance is available by contacting DVL at Edward T Wheadon House on tel: 221000 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.