Friday 22 June 2012
Visitors to the Longue Hougue recycling facility should notice a number of improvements when the site reopens on Monday.
The site, which opened as a temporary facility in 2008, is extremely popular, with more than 62,000 vehicles visiting in 2011.
More than 10,000 disclaimers were also signed for previously used household items that were taken away and given a new lease of life. These included anything from bicycles to old flower pots, and another 1,000 tonnes of unwanted material was recycled via the site last year.
Recycling Officer Tina Norman-Ross said:
"The site has been closed for the last two weeks and has moved a few hundred metres so that construction can begin on the new slaughterhouse on the site, next to the cattle incinerator. We have taken this opportunity to improve the general layout and facilities".
There will also be changes to how the site operates, with a new code of conduct being introduced, and a dedicated area where items that are working are put aside for islanders to take away. Rules preventing anyone from taking parts from any items will be strictly enforced in future.
Despite being a temporary site, Public Services has also submitted plans to the Environment Department to provide a covered area. This will provide storage for reusable items that previously had to be left outside, sometimes in the wind and the rain, such as wooden furniture and electrical items.
Public Services Minister, Deputy Paul Luxon said:
"The improvements should make a big difference and will help to keep any items left at Longue Hougue, in a good reusable condition. Of course any reused or recycled items reduces the amount of waste going to landfill and will help extend the life of Mont Cuet".
For a full list of items that can be accepted at Longue Hougue Recycling Facility please visit www.gov.gg/recycling
Summer Opening times (1 April - 31 October)
Monday - Friday 7.30am - 4.00pm
Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays 8am - 5pm