Schools and post-16 education providers play a vital role in helping young people develop their employability skills so that they are better prepared to enter the world of work.
The My Future, My Choice, My Island & Beyond (Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance) Strategy for the States of Guernsey outlines eight benchmarks of good practice for schools/Post-16 to work towards. These include:
1. A Stable Careers Programme
2. Learning from Career and Labour Market Information
3. Addressing the Needs of Each Pupil
4. Linking Curriculum Learning to Careers
5. Encounters with Employers and Employees
6. Experience of Workplaces
7. Encounters with Further and Higher Education
8. Personal Guidance
Engagement with employers will be essential in preparing young people and developing good practice in a school/Post-16.
The My Future, My Choice, My Island & Beyond also provides a Framework of learning outcomes for careers, employability and enterprise education as a practical resource for schools/Post-16.
You can find out more on the Careers Guernsey website.