The Tax on Real Property (TRP) Appeals Panel was first established in June 2008 to hear and determine appeals made in accordance with the Taxation of Real Property (Guernsey and Alderney) Ordinance, 2007.
The Tax on Real Property Appeal Panel
- The Tax on Real Property (TRP) Appeals Panel was first established in June 2008 to hear and determine appeals made in accordance with the Taxation of Real Property (Guernsey and Alderney) Ordinance, 2007.
- The Panel determines appeals where a property owner is dissatisfied with an assessment of the tax on real property made by Cadastre.
- The Panel's Members are:
- Mrs Audrey Branch, President
- Ms Julia White, Vice President
- Mr Keith Bell
- Ms Zannette Bougourd
- Mr Roy Burke
- Ms Thalia El Chammah
- Mr Ray le Poidevin
- The Panel is independent of the Policy & Resources Committee, the Cadastre Deprtment and any other Committee of the States of Guernsey.
- The Panel is supported by a Clerk, Ms Elizabeth Dene.
- Since 1st January 2021, anybody owning real property in Alderney must appeal any decision in respect of the amount of Alderney Property Tax payable to the Alderney property Tax Appeal Tribunal. Further details can be obtained by following this link.
- Details of the current TRP Property References and Tariffs for Guernsey that are administered by Cadastre, please follow this link.
Challenging a decision in respect of the Tax on Real Property (TRP) assessment of your property
- In the first instance, if you disagree with a relevant TRP decision, you must write to Cadastre within 28 days of the date of the decision letter asking for the decision to be reconsidered. If you do not do this within 28 days, its decision is final and cannot be appealed to the Panel.
- The Cadastre must review its decision and notify you of the outcome of the review in a timely manner.
- If, following this internal review, you remain dissatisfied with the decision, you may appeal to the TRP Appeal Tribunal
- You must submit your appeal within 28 days of the date of the Cadastre's final decision.
- Your appeal should be made on using the appeal form which can be downloaded from this page.
- You may post your appeal to the TRP Appeal Panel Clerk, Sir Charles Frossard House, La Charroterie, St Peter Port, Guernsey GY1 1FH or submit it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org . You should include copies of all correspondence between yourself and Cadastre with your appeal form and explain why you are dissatisfied with the Cadastre's assessment of the TRP payable for the property
Further details of how to appeal TRP decisions and what happens at an appeal hearing can be found by downloading the guidance notes on this page.
Decisions of the Tax on Real Property Appeals Tribunal
- Previous judgements of the Tribunal can be found by following this link.
Forthcoming Tribunal Hearings
- Details of forthcoming hearings can be found by following this link.