Trading in Guernsey as a non-resident
Hawkers and Non-Resident Traders (Guernsey) Law 1980, and Trades' Exhibition Certificates.
It is a legal requirement for a Hawker and Non-Resident Trader, (as defined by the Hawkers and Non-Resident Traders (Guernsey) Law 1980, as amended), to either have a Hawkers Licence or a Non Resident Trader licence, issued by the Royal Court before they can trade on the Island.
For all general queries about Hawkers and Non Resident Traders in Guernsey, please contact Home Affairs on 01481 717353. Alternatively you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This licence will authorise the trader to go places to places to sell its merchandise. There are some exemptions to those licence. We will advise you to contact Home Affairs on 01481 717353, email email@example.com before making any applications.
Class I Non-Resident Traders Licence
- This licence costs £2000 for a 12 month period and authorises the trader to occupy any premises for the purpose of his/her business.
- An application for a Class I licence is made to Guernsey Police and the licence is issued by the Royal Court.
Class II Non-Resident Traders Licence
- This licence is intended for traders who are attending a trades exhibition. This type of licence costs £50 and is valid for the period of the trades' exhibition. It is only possible to apply for a Class II Licence if the trader possesses a 'trades' exhibition certificate'
Trades' Exhibition Certificates
- This certificate is issued by the Committee for Home Affairs, signifying that the Committee has approved the particular event as a Trades Exhibition. A trades' exhibition is not defined in the Law, but will include events such as a craft fair or a farmer's market.
- An application for a Class II licence is made to Guernsey Police and the licence is issued by the Royal Court.
- Please note, holding a Trades' Exhibition Certificate does not exempt traders from the requirement to have a Non-Resident traders Licence.
- For guidance on Trades' Exhibition Certificates please follow this link firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01481 234567 to contact the Trading Standards Service.