Information regarding the importation and exportation of veterinary medicines and medicated feed
Veterinary medicines imported into, and exported from, Guernsey must have a marketing authorisation issued by the authorities in the UK or the European Medicines Agency.
Vets and Pharmacists can import and export authorised veterinary medicines without a licence, however, in the case of veterinary medicines that require a prescription, such products cannot be exported unless a vet or pharmacist has seen a prescription for the relevant product.
Veterinary Medicine Classification
- A veterinary medicine classified as AVM - GSL (as being on the general sales list) can be imported or exported by any person without a licence.
- A veterinary medicine classified as POM-VPS or a NFA-VPS may be prescribed by any Registered Qualified Person (RQP - a veterinarian, a pharmacist) or suitably qualified person (SQP).
- A clinical assessment of the animal(s) is not required when prescribing these categories of veterinary medicine and the animal does not have to be seen by the prescriber. However, sufficient information about the animal and the way it is kept must be known to the prescriber in order to prescribe and supply appropriately.
- A medicine will generally be included in the POM-VPS or NFA-VPS categories when:
- it is preventative treatment for worms and other parasites;
- its use implies risks for the user, the animal, consumer or the environment but users can be made aware of suitable countermeasures to reduce the risk through simple, oral or written, advice.
In the United Kingdom (UK) SQP retailer's premises are subject to regular inspections by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD) and must be approved. UK retailers who supply POM-VPS or NFA-VPS medicines to end consumers in Guernsey must be SQP's and products must be supplied from VMD approved retailers' premises.
- Agriculture, Countryside and Land Management Services has issued a general import licence for named UK suppliers to enable POM-VPS or NFA-VPS products to be legally supplied to Guernsey animal keepers and carers for treatment of their own animals.
- Any named UK suppliers who sends POM-VPS or NFA-VPS product to end consumers in Guernsey must be SQP's working from a VMD approved retailer premises.
- The authorised named suppliers of POM-VPS or NFA-VPS products to animal keepers or carers in Guernsey are below:
- Battle Hayward and Bower Ltd.
- Homefield Services Ltd.
- Kent Wool Growers Ltd.
- Medicanimal also trading as Best Pet.co.uk
- Mole Valley Farmers Ltd.
- T.G. Jeary Ltd. also trading as Agricentre T.G. Jeary
- Trilanco Ltd.
- SCATS Countrystore
There are some other specific exemptions that only apply in special circumstances. Follow this link for further information.
Animal feeds that contain veterinary medicinal products are included in these rules.