Here you will find a number of information checklists that will assist in making Guernsey more inclusive.
The checklists are a guide to improving accessibility so that disabled people and their carers are able to participate more fully in all aspects of island life.
If you would like different information/checklists please provide details in the 'feedback' section on this page.
In the downloads section on this page, you can view the 'States of Guernsey Statement of Intent Disability Charter'.
How to become more Disability Aware
- The States in partnership with AccessAble (formerly DisabledGo) , local charities and disabled people has developed 'Disability Awareness Training' which is easily accessed online and is free for everyone in Guernsey.
- Download the guide here [103kb]or go direct to www.signpost.gg/training to start your training.
How to become Dementia Friendly
Good Practice Guide
- This guide is intended to be used as a reference document for employers who wish to maximise the potential of disabled people who are, in essence, an untapped workforce but have a huge range of experience and potential. Moreover, the guide is intended to be practical and helpful and to give employers information that could assist them in the future to meet the requirements of the forthcoming disability discrimination legislation in Guernsey.
- Download the guide here [5Mb] or visit Guernsey Employment Trust.
Employers' Disability Charter
- The Charter enables employers to provide tangible evidence that they are working towards taking positive action and developing initiatives that will enable more disabled people to access employment opportunities in Guernsey.
- The States of Guernsey signed up the Employers Disability Charter in March 2018.The Charter demonstrates the States commitment to being positive and proactive towards recruiting and retaining disabled people and people with health conditions. This will enable more disabled people to access employment opportunities in Guernsey. You can view the States of Guernsey Statement of Intent Disability charter here [235kb].
- Download the guide here [114kb] or visit Guernsey Employment Trust.
How to improve your printed documents
- This guide will help you to improve the accessibility of your printed documents.
- Download the guide here [111kb].
How to make your website more accessible
- This guide will ask you to think about your website and will provide you with some ideas to make your website more accessible.
- Download the guide here [109kb].
How accessible are your buildings?
- These guides have been developed with support from the Business Disability Forum (BDF), to explore how accessible your premises are. It is good practice to have an Access Audit carried out so that you know how accessible your buildings are and are aware of any barriers that someone with a disability might encounter.
- You can download the 4 guides here.
- Arriving at the building [135kb]
- Inside the building [132kb]
- Moving around inside the building [135kb]
- Means of escape in an emergency [131kb]
- We have partnered with AccessAble (formerly DisabledGo) to provide factual information about accessibility to over 600 venues and routes in Guernsey and Herm. The venues include restaurants, hotels, cafes, public buildings and businesses. Good, clear information on accessibility enables people to plan their journeys in advance, and to know that they will be able to move around with dignity and without discomfort. Check out the website AccessAble (formerly Disabledgo)
For information about support, services and activities for disabled people and their carers: take a look at our website www.signpost.gg