The new purpose built Household Waste & Recycling Centre (HWRC) at Longue Hougue is where you can take everyday household items for reuse, recycling or disposal. You can drop off most items there, without charge.
Charges apply to materials that are not recyclable or reusable, and will be payable on the gate (cash or card payment only). For a list of charges please go to the downloads on this page.
When you arrive you will be met by one of our friendly site staff. They will have a look at what you are bringing and let you know where to drop them off. If you have a lot of items, or something heavy to drop off, and would like a helping hand, let the site staff know.
Please remember we do not accept any industrial or trade waste and all electrical items, large or small, must be declared to site staff to ensure they are dealt with safely.
|Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday||8am - 4pm|
|Friday||8am - 4pm|
|Saturday||8am - 4pm|
|Sunday||8am - 12pm|
For opening times of other waste sites, please follow this link.
Batteries (household) Bicycles Bricks Bubble wrap (clear/clean) Car batteries CDs Computers/monitors Concrete Blocks Cooking Oil DVDs Electrical appliances Electric cables Fire extinguishers Flower pots Food waste Fridges/freezers Gas cylinders General waste (charged at £2.50 per black bag) Hand tools Kerbside bags (blue & clear) Kitchen appliances Low energy light bulbs Metal furniture Metal (scrap) Motor/engine oil Nails, screws and bolts Paint Paving slabs Plastic garden furniture Plastic toys Polystyrene Polythene (clear/clean) Power tools Printer cartridges "Rigid" plastics Scrap Metal TVs Videos/Cassette tapes Wooden doors Wooden Furniture
- To view the site map please go to the downloads section on this page and select 'Site Map' from the list.
- To view a list of items accept for recycling or disposal and charges please go to the downloads section on this page and select 'Site Information Leaflet'
GO Reuse Centre
- Guernsey Waste is working in partnership with local charity GO to give unwanted items a new lease of life, so they don't go to waste. The scheme also provides valuable training and employment opportunities for local people, in preparing items for reuse or "upcycling". Items generally have to be in good, sellable condition or suitable for repair. Please ask a member of the site staff whether your items could be reused, and they can direct you to the storage area.
Comments, Compliments and Complaints
- We value feedback from our customers and are keen to know how we can improve our services. If you would like to provide feedback to us, both positive and constructive, then please contact us via the contact us button on this page.
- The States of Guernsey will not tolerate any intimidation or abuse on site, be that to site staff or site users. Users of the facility that do not abide by this shall be issued with a verbal or written warning, which could result in persistent offenders being banned.
- Equally the States of Guernsey will not tolerate such behaviour from its staff. Should you have any concerns in this respect please ask to speak to the Site Supervisor. If this is not possible, a formal complaint should be made in writing to:
- The Manager, Waste Services & Environmental Monitoring, States Works, La Hure Mare, Vale, GY3 5UD
- Please also follow us on Facebook and Twitter(RecycleForGsy) for the latest updates and news.