States' Assembly & Constitution Committee - P.2020/117
Amendment 1 - Deputy Fallaize & Deputy Soulsby [222kb]
Amendment 2 - Deputy Fallaize & Deputy de Sausmarez [222kb]
Amendment 3 - Deputy Dorey & Deputy Green [396kb]
Amendment 4 - Deputy Inder & Deputy Merrett [378kb]
The States are asked to decide:-
Whether, after consideration of the policy letter entitled "General Election 2020: Review of the date of the General Election" dated 25th June, 2020, they are of the opinion:-
1. To agree:
(a) to modify the application of Articles 26, 29 and 30 of the Reform (Guernsey) Law, 1948 to
enable the 2020 General Election to take place in October,
(b) to appoint the date for the holding of the 2020 General Election as 7th October,
(c) to close the Electoral Roll in respect of the 2020 General Election on 21st August,
(d) that the end of the term of office of People's Deputies elected at or after the 2016 Election
shall be 18th October, 2020, and
(e) that the next General Election to be held after the 2020 General Election shall be held in
April 2025, and to modify the application of Article 29 of the Reform (Guernsey) Law, 1948
2. In accordance with, and to give effect to, Proposition 1, to approve the draft Ordinance entitled
"The Elections Ordinance, 2020" and to direct that the same shall have effect as an
Ordinance of the States.
3. To approve the following draft Ordinances entitled:
(a) "The Electoral Expenditure Ordinance, 2020",
(b) "The Postal Voting (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020", and
(c) "The Elections (Nominations and Ballot Papers for People's Deputies) Ordinance, 2020".
and to direct that the same shall have effect as Ordinances of the States.
4. To agree the following arrangements for polling stations:
• to set the opening hours of all polling stations (including advance polling stations and the
super polling stations) in the Island at 8 a.m. until 8 p.m;
• to establish an advance super polling station at St Sampson's High School and Princess
Royal Performing Arts Centre on Saturday 3rd October and Sunday 4th October 2020;
• to establish an advance and super polling station at the Princess Royal Performing Arts
Centre on Tuesday 6th and Wednesday 7th October 2020;
• to establish the Parish polling stations on Tuesday 6th and Wednesday 7th October 2020
as set out in the table at paragraph 6.22 of this policy letter.
5. To approve the draft Ordinance entitled "The Advance and Super Polling Station Ordinance, 2020"
and to direct that the same shall have effect as an Ordinance of the States.
6. To agree the following States' Meetings should be convened for Committee and other elections:
|(a)|| Monday 19th October|
|President, Policy & Resources Committee|
|(b)|| Monday 19th October|
|Members, Policy & Resources Committee|
|(c)||Wednesday 21st October||Committee Presidents|
|(d)||Thursday 22nd October||Committee Members and Non-Governmental Body Members|
The above Propositions have been submitted to Her Majesty's Procureur for advice on any legal or constitutional implications in accordance with Rule 4(1) of the Rules of Procedure of the States of Deliberation and their Committees.