States Works will be busy playing catch-up when the COVID-19 restrictions are eased on Monday (22 February).
Since lockdown rules came into effect at the end of January, its staff have been restricted in carrying out some normally routine activity, such as the upkeep of parks and other outdoor spaces. Many have also had to be redeployed from their usual roles to cover for colleagues having to self-isolate, so that essential services such as the waste transfer station and cesspit emptying can be maintained.
Paul Lickley, managing director of States Works said; "Our staff have shown significant dedication and commitment in order to maintain essential services, working in challenging circumstances alongside so many other frontline staff."
However, with fewer staff now self-isolating, and outdoor working permitted in groups of up to 10 from Monday, operations should begin to return to normal.
Mr Lickley said the situation should be better than last year.
"Everything we have learnt following the first lockdown has enabled us to improve our business continuity plans and left us better placed to deal with the pandemic and respond to the island's changing position in an efficient and effective manner.
"We still have quite a lot of work to catch up on, but all being well we will soon have the public spaces looking their best."
Even though they are working outdoors, the States Works teams will still have to observe social distancing guidelines. Mr Lickley said he would ask anyone who encounters their staff just to be mindful of the need to maintain a safe distance.