Policy & Resources Committee - P.2021/82
The States are asked to decide: -
Whether, after consideration of the Policy Letter entitled "The Bailiwick's Participation in UK Free Trade Agreements" dated 25th June, 2021, they are of the opinion:-
1. To agree that the Guernsey's participation in any Free Trade Agreement ("FTA") (or other trade arrangement) should -
a) meet Guernsey's needs, while respecting the constitutional relationship with the UK through the Crown and Guernsey's domestic autonomy; and,
b) be underpinned by the principles of relevance, proportionality, and practicality, taking into account the island nature of Guernsey, its size and population, and unique needs arising out of the same.
2. To note the intention to establish a process to enable effective consultation between the Bailiwick authorities in relation to participation in any FTA (or other trade arrangement).
3. To direct the Policy & Resources Committee to maintain efforts to ensure that Guernsey's interests (and, subject to the necessary authorisations from Alderney and Sark, the Bailiwick's interests) continue to be represented to the UK during negotiations in relation to any FTA (or other trade arrangement).
4 To authorise the Policy & Resources Committee, subject to the necessary authorisations from Alderney and Sark, to agree to the Bailiwick's participation in UK FTAs (or other trade arrangements) and signal that agreement to HM Government.
5. To endorse the process and approach (set out in Paragraphs 2.5-2.7 and 2.18-2.33) regarding Guernsey's (and the wider Bailiwick's) participation in UK FTAs (or other trade arrangements).
6. To agree that there shall be implemented such measures (including legislative measures) as the Policy & Resources Committee thinks fit for the purpose of ensuring that Guernsey may comply and remain in compliance with obligations that arise from participation in any UK FTA (or other trade arrangement).
7. To direct the preparation of such legislation as may be necessary to give effect to the above decisions.