The official website for the States of Guernsey


St Peter Port & St Sampson
Blue Bag
Clear Bag
Food Waste
Black Bag
Glass Bag

All Other Parishes
Blue Bag
Clear Bag
Food Waste
Black Bag
Glass Bag
More Information
weather iconCloudy with showers or longer spells of rain.
5 day forecastTide timetables
Sign In

Your Responsibilities and Who Can Help

Share this page

As a parent, you have a vital role to play in your child's education and a legal duty to see that he/she receives it. We have a duty to provide education which is suitable to a child's age, aptitude, ability and special educational needs.

There are many things you can do to help. Here are a few suggestions


  • How you can help with any assessment of your child's special educational needs

    • Sometimes, your child's school may seek further advice from other professionals about your child's special educational needs. In a small number of cases this could lead to the Education Department consulting with you about a formal assessment of your child's special educational needs, which may result in a Determination of Special Educational Needs being issued. If so you should expect to be consulted and kept fully informed by the school and the Education Department
    • It is very important that all those working with your child have full information about his/her special educational needs. Here is a short guide to the type of information you might wish to share with those who work with your child.
  • The Early Years

    • What do you remember about your child's early years which might help?
    • When did you first feel that things were not right?
    • What has happened since?
  • What is your child like now?

    • What is their
      • General health
      • Physical skills
      • Self-help, e.g. level of personal independence
      • Communication
      • Playing and learning at home
      • Activities outside the home
      • Relationships, e.g. with parents, brothers, sisters and friends
      • Behaviour at home
      • What does he/she find easy or difficult at school?
      • What do you think your child's special educational needs are?
      • What is your child good at and what does he/she enjoy doing?
      • What does your child worry about?
      • Is there any other information you would like to share, e.g. about your family, major events which may have affected your child or reports by other people about your child?
      • Do you think your child's needs affect the family as a whole?
  • Who else can help?

    • Before your child starts school, you can seek help from the following:
      • Your child's early years provider, e.g. playgroup or nursery leader
      • Your Health Visitor
      • Your own doctor (GP) who can refer on to other services, e.g. therapies
      • A Community Paediatrician
      • An Educational Psychologist
    • When your child is at school you can seek help from the following:
      • Class teacher (primary) or form tutor or head of year (secondary) at your child's school
      • The SENCO and Headteacher
      • School Nurse
      • Your own doctor (GP) who can refer on to other services, e.g. occupational therapist or physiotherapist
      • A Community Paediatrician
      • An Educational Psychologist
      • Other Education Advisory & Outreach Support Services
      • Education Officers within the SEN & Children's Services team
    • Your child's difficulties may not last long and may be overcome with extra help and close working between you and your child's teachers. Other more complex and long term difficulties may need to involve a range of other professionals.

Share this page

Write to us:
Standards & Learning Effectiveness

Sir Charles Frossard House,  La Charroterie,  St Peter Port,  Channel Islands,  GY1 1FH

Call us:
01481 224000

Add To Home

To add this page to the homescreen of your phone, go to the menu button and "Add to homescreen".

The menu button may look like
Three Dots or Box with an Arrow *some browsers' menu buttons may vary.