Apart from teachers, lecturers and learning support assistants, we employ many other people to work in our schools.
- The three High Schools and Sixth Form Centre all employ School Administrators who co-ordinate the day to day running of the non-teaching activities of the school.
- These School Administrators work closely with the headteacher and other senior managers and manage other support staff within the school. They may help with arranging cover for absent teachers, administer external qualifications and exams, manage the income and expenditure of the school and help organise school events and off-site visits.
School Administration Assistant
- All schools have a school office manned by one or more school administration assistants. These posts are usually term-time only and may be full-time or part-time.
- The School Administration Assistant is usually the first point of contact for parents, pupils and members of the public and will liaise with school staff and other education professionals. They provide administrative, clerical and secretarial support within the school and may act as personal assistant to the Headteacher.
- We want our school buildings, sports facilities and outdoor areas to be used by the wider community as much as possible. The new High Schools have been designed with full community use very much in mind.
- To help manage the wider use of some of our larger school buildings, we employ Premises Managers who ensure the facilities are maintained to a high standard, manage community bookings and direct the work of caretakers and cleaners.
Caretaker and Assistant Caretaker
- The caretaking staff are responsible for keeping the school buildings, grounds and other facilities in a suitable condition and safe to use.
- Duties include general maintenance, organising minor repairs, cleaning, ensuring there are adequate stocks of cleaning supplies, managing other cleaning staff, setting up rooms or equipment, reading utility meters etc.
- Caretakers are usually expected to be sworn in as Special Constables in order to carry out traffic control and security duties.
- Caretakers and Assistant Caretakers may work shifts.
- Schools may employ cleaners who work under the direction of the caretaker or premises manager.
Minibus Drivers and Passenger Assistants
- We operate a small fleet of minibuses to transport special needs pupils to and from school and to take small groups on school outings and visits.
- Drivers are also responsible for maintaining the internal and external cleanliness of the minibus.
- Passenger Assistants ensure the safety of pupils as they get on and off the minibus and help pupils if required. They look after, supervise and control pupils en route and together with the driver ensure that everyone is seated safely and wearing a properly adjusted seatbelt.
- Passenger Assistants work a minimum of 15 hours a week and drivers a minimum of 19 hours a week, term-time only.
- Schools may employ a number of technicians to support teachers and students with areas such as ICT, Art and Design, Photography, Science etc.
- Tasks may include preparing equipment and materials, maintaining and repairing equipment and materials, managing stock or helping students with particular tasks.