The official website for the States of Guernsey


St Peter Port & St Sampson
Blue Bag
Clear Bag
Food Waste
Black Bag
Glass Bag

All Other Parishes
Blue Bag
Clear Bag
Food Waste
Black Bag
Glass Bag
More Information
weather iconCloudy with outbreaks of rain and drizzle by mid-morning.
5 day forecastTide timetables
Sign In

Commercial Animal Movements

Share this page


  • Commercial vs Non-commercial Pet Travel

    • A non-commercial movement is defined as 'any movement which does not have as its aim either the sale or the transfer of ownership of a pet animal'. For example, an owner travelling on the ferry to Guernsey with their pet dog is classed as a non-commercial movement.
    • Movements of pets, which do not fall within the definition of 'non-commercial movement' are classed as commercial imports.
      • This includes all rescue charities that import pets for rehoming in the Bailiwick.
      • Such movements are highly regulated because this is classified as trade.
  • Non-Commercial EU Pet Movements

    • The Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) defines a 'pet animal' as a dog, cat or ferret, accompanied by their owner or a natural person responsible for the animal during their movement, not intended to be sold or transferred to another owner.
      • These movements can occur using approved carriers and approved routes.
      • Entries into importing countries have to pass through 'travellers points of entry' (TPE).
      • A maximum of five pets at a time can accompany an owner under PETS rules.
      • An authorised person can accompany the pets, but the owner has to be reunited with their pets within 5 days of both the owner and pet travelling.
      • More information on pet movements can be found here
  • Commercial Pet Movements 

    • As well as meeting the PETS requirements above, there are additional requirements for commercial movements as follows:
      • Importer must apply for an import licence.
        • An application form is available here
      • Commercial pet movements from the EU must comply with and be accompanied by an 'export health certificate' (EHC) issued by an authorised vet in the exporting country. This will include:
        • departure from a holding registered with the EU Member State of origin;
        • a clinical examination within 48 hours of dispatch from the holding which is carried out by a vet authorised by the competent authority who certifies that the animals are free of contagious disease and are fit and healthy to travel;
        • import into a destination address (not necessarily registered).
      • Importers must complete an animal import notification at least 24 hours prior to arrival in Guernsey.
    • When transporting animals commercially by sea, air or road in the EU/UK transporters must have an EU/UK transport authorisation.
      • Further information on UK transport authorisations can be found here
      • Further information on EU transport authorisations can be found here.
      • Persons commercially transporting animals must comply with animal welfare during transport regulations in all countries that the movement occurs through.
    • Commercial animal movements to/from the EU must come through a border control post. 
  • Off Island Traders / Hawkins Licence

    • Vendors travelling to Guernsey to sell animals may have to apply for an 'Off Island Traders Licence' or a 'Hawkers Licence'.
      • Follow this link for further information. 


Animal/Animal Product Import Application Form Animal Import Notification Approved Carriers and Routes

Share this page

Add To Home

To add this page to the homescreen of your phone, go to the menu button and "Add to homescreen".

The menu button may look like
Three Dots or Box with an Arrow *some browsers' menu buttons may vary.