The Energy Policy 2020 - 2050 provides direction to the energy market for long-term planning and investment, to manage the transition to decarbonisation and increased electrification for consumers. This will ensure that Guernsey keeps up to date with global decarbonisation trends, regulations, technologies, industry practises and innovation.
The Energy Policy can be read in full at https://gov.gg/StatesMeetings. You can find a quick summary of the Energy Policy in the downloads section.
Stakeholders across the Island, along with local energy market representatives helped to design and develop the Energy Policy 2020 - 2050. Energy providers, industry experts, and members of the public played a large role in the development of the policy. Everybody will have a role to play now, and in the future, to implement the vision.
- The States of Guernsey and Guernsey Electricity Ltd commissioned a report on future energy demand in order to better understand the future energy mix on a local scale. The Energy Demand Forecast Report and Energy Infrastructure Options report are available in the downloads section. A summary of policy options has also been produced, based on the future energy demand forecast, on energy efficiency and decarbonisation. Commercially sensitive information has been redacted.
- Energy industry representatives were invited to join an Energy Forum. This Forum met for the first time on 22nd November 2018 to discuss the feedback that came out of the workshops. The Energy Forum have met regularly to develop the Energy Policy.
- The Energy Forum met on the following dates and discussed a number of key topics:
- 22 November 2018 - Industry Representatives and Workshop feedback.
- 17 January 2019 - Update on Policy progression, CICRA: Regulation, what makes a positive regulatory environment and relationship with organisations in a regulated market, States of Jersey: Challenges faced by the energy market from a government perspective.
- 21 March 2019 - Presentation of Draft Energy Policy.
- 9 August 2019 - Review of Draft Energy Policy.
- 7 February 2020 - Presentation of Final Draft Energy Policy