The Energy Team are reviewing the current Energy Resource Plan which was published in 2011, with a view to bringing a new energy policy to the States of Guernsey in 2019. It is important that we review and update our energy policy as this will ensure that Guernsey remains up to date with the global decarbonisation trends, regulations, technologies, and industry practices. This update will guarantee that Energy Policy remains consistent and effective into the future allowing for long-term planning by government, energy providers, and individuals.
The team will be engaging with different stakeholders across the island and energy market. This discovery and engagement will be a chance for energy providers, industry experts, and members of the public to discuss their view of the current energy market, their thoughts on what the future will look like, and what they see as their - and Government's - role going forward.
Discovery & Engagement
- The energy team will be hosting a series of innovative engagement events to discover insights and develop future energy policy.
- This section will be updated with future events and we will publish summaries of the feedback we gather so that you can see what's being said and feel part of the conversation.
October Energy Workshops
- We recently held a two-day workshop with different representatives from across the energy market. A pre-questionnaire was sent out to all attendees to respond to and each group took part in an individual 30minute session with officers and members of the Committee for Environment & Infrastructure to present their feedback and to answer any questions raised. A copy of attendees and the pre-submission headings can be found below.
- Energy Workshop Attendees & PreSubmission Headings [447kb]
- Please follow this link to see the article from Guernsey Chamber of Commerce.
- We invited the energy representatives who attended the workshop to join an Energy Forum. This Forum met for the first time on 22nd November to discuss the feedback that came out of the workshops.
- We want to keep the conversation going during the discovery phase of this policy project. The Forum will provide the space and time to engage with wider businesses and different stakeholder groups as we define and develop new Energy Policy.
- Dates of future forums:
- 22 November 2018 - Industry Representatives and Workshop feedback.
- 17 January 2019 -TBC
- 21 February 2019 - TBC
- Here are some interesting links on energy that we will keep updated in the coming weeks:
- Guernsey Press 09/11/2018: Sark Electricity to cut off power from the end of the month
- Business Brief 01/11/2018: The Jersey Power Game
- ITV Channel TV 30/10/2018: Renewable energy company looks to Alderney waters for tidal power project
- The Guardian 19/10/2018: MPs call for ban on petrol and diesel car sales by 2032
- Guernsey Press 04/10/2018: Need for clear energy policy direction
- BBC News 02/10/2018: What does 1.5C mean in a warming world?
- IPCC Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5ºC.
- Special Report on Renewable Energy Sources and Climate Change Mitigation (SRREN).
How can I find out about the progress of the Energy Policy?
- We will update this area of gov.gg/energy as the policy progresses. For more detailed information please see the documents in the downloads section of this page.
I would like to be involved as the policy develops what can I do?
- Please email email@example.com and let us know your particular interest so that we can direct you appropriately.