The Foundation Stage covers pupils going into the Reception Year at school who are usually aged four or five.
The States of Guernsey works co-operatively and in partnership with a range of agencies to ensure that all children and young people have the best possible start in life and are:
- Healthy & Active
- Safe & Nurtured
- Reach their individual potential
- Included & Respected.
In the Reception year children cover six areas of learning within their core curriculum
- Knowledge and understanding of the world
- Personal, social and emotional development
- Communication, language and literacy
- Mathematical development
- Physical development
- Creative development.
There are also a number of cross-curricular themes than run across the Foundation Stage and Key Stages 1 and 2.
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development
- Financial capability
- Enterprise education
- Education for sustainable development