A step-by-step guide to arranging holiday dialysis slots in the Guernsey Renal Unit.
Holiday dialysis spaces in Guernsey are limited, due to the number of local patients requiring dialysis and the number of dialysis slots available. Therefore holiday dialysis requests need to be made well in advance of booking your holiday.
- Please contact the Renal Unit by telephone, 01481 711495 or email us on email@example.com to check with the holiday co-ordinator the availability of slots and to make a provisional booking.
- Confirmation of acceptance will depend on the following:
- a 6-month history of well-tolerated dialysis sessions- please be aware that we do not have a renal medical team on site;
- the consultant signing the fitness to dialyse statement at the front on the application form;
- dialysis access is permanent, non problematic and at least 6 months old;
- patients latest Biochemistry, Haematology, Virology, CRE (Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae) and MRSA screen will be sent to the Guernsey unit no later than 4 weeks before the intended holiday dialysis session/s;
** Unfortunately we are unable to accept dialysis patients who are Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, HIV, CRE or MRSA positive**
- Certificate of authority for funding for the holiday dialysis session/s should be signed and returned to the Guernsey unit no later than 4 weeks prior to the intended session dates;
- All relevant documentation is completed and returned to the Guernsey unit no later than 4 weeks prior to the intended session dates.
- If all documentation, blood results, funding certificate etc are not received by the Guernsey Renal Unit 4 weeks prior to the provisional booking, the dates may be allocated to another person.
- If medication needs to be given by the unit staff, e.g.: EPO, the home unit, along with a copy of the prescription, must provide it. Exact days and times of dialysis sessions cannot be confirmed until two weeks prior to arrival. It is the responsibility of the person coming to Guernsey or their unit to contact us and confirm dates and times two weeks prior to arrival. We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.
- We also ask that dialysis units inform us of any change in the holiday person's dialysis prescription, health status or access that may occur between their initial holiday booking and actual holiday.
- Once completed, you or your unit should then post, fax or e-mail the forms to us, confirming the dates of your provisional booking. Please phone us if you are unable to download the forms and we will post or fax the forms to you. We would recommend that you do not book your flights, ferry or accommodation until you have received confirmation from us, of your holiday dialysis booking.
- Once the forms have been sent to us, please contact the unit to confirm your suitability for satellite unit dialysis and your provisional dialysis dates and times.
- Please contact the unit again, two weeks prior to your arrival to confirm these dates and times.
- Book your holiday.
- Please ensure that you have adequate travel insurance as the Guernsey Health Services are entirely separate to the NHS and unlike European destinations the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is not valid here. Check out our page on 'Healthcare for visitors to the Islands' for more information.
- Up to date MRSA, blood results, and hepatitis screens- i.e. taken within 4 weeks of your expected arrival to Guernsey, should be sent to the unit.
- We would also ask that any change to your dialysis prescription, e.g. a change to dry weight, heparin dose, hours etc. is made apparent at this time.
- If you are on the transplant list:
- make sure you give your holiday contact details to your transplant co-ordinator.
- make sure you are insured for the cost of a flight home should you be called for transplantation.
Guernsey is not a member of the European Community (EC) and therefore the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is not valid on Guernsey. The cost of a dialysis session is currently £355 (subject to change-please contact the unit for cost confirmation) and we will require a funding certificate (included in the download pack) to be completed, before we will be able to confirm your dialysis sessions.