Health Visiting is a service offered to all families with pre-school children.
Each family has a named Health Visitor who may visit during the antenatal period or begin visiting between 10 and 14 days from birth of your baby.
Health Visiting Guernsey
- Health Visitors offer developmental assessments for babies and young children at key points in their lives - (6 - 8 weeks, 9 - 12 months, 2 years and 3 years, 4 months). They also offer help and advice on a range of issues such as feeding, sleeping, potty training and behaviour management.
- Health Visitors offer a high level of support to families with complex needs as part of a multi-agency package.
- Community well baby drop-in clinics (Free to attend) are held across the island as well as some appointed clinics at Lukis House. Please also feel free to contact your Health Visitor by telephone for advice and support.
- Telephone enquiries can be made to Lukis House on Tel: 01481 222011 to make an appointment or to ask a Health Visitor to contact you.
- Aileen Underwood or Sian Jones, Health Visitors for Alderney, take it in turns to visit Alderney up to 3 times a month on a Tuesday, please contact 01481 222011or email Health.Visitors@gov.gg if you wish to make an appointment or discuss any concerns.
- A Health Visitor visits Sark on a Wednesday of every other month and Herm as and when needed / required.
- Postnatal groups are for parents / carers with babies from 4 weeks old and are held at the Professor Shaw Community Centre, La Rue Maze, St Martins in the Moulin Huet Room. Your Health Visitor will give you dates available on their first home visit or you can contact Lukis House Reception on Tel No: 01481 222011 for alternative dates.
- The Post Natal Group is an opportunity to meet up with other parents and carers and is led by the Health Visiting Team.
- Two sessions are held on a Monday from 1:30 pm until 2:30 pm excluding Bank Holidays:
- The first session is held on the first Monday of the month and covers Baby Safety: including Resuscitation Practices and First Aid.
- The second session covers Baby Massage and Bonding. (Helpful for colic, sleep and relaxation for parent / carer and baby).
- Information on childhood immunisations can be found on our separate page by clicking here Childhood immunisations
- For sexual health advice and up to date information regarding contraception visit Choices (Guernsey) or Family Planning Association UK
- CAPT gives advice on safety issues eg burns and scalds, dangers of children accidentally swallowing button batteries or magnets, choking, how to safely eat small round food eg grapes, toy safety and safety in the home and garden Child Accident Prevention Trust (CAPT)
- ICON is a programme that provides information about infant crying and how to cope. ICON - Babies cry you can cope
- The Lullaby Trust raises awareness of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), provides expert advice on safer sleep for babies and offers emotional support for bereaved families The Lullaby Trust
- Tiny Happy People is here to help you develop your child's communication skills. Tiny Happy People
- To find a list of pre-schools (and those offering 15 free hours free pre-school education) and nursery list, visit States Early Years Team
- This website has real strategies and tools to tackle fussy eating and create happy mealtimes Child Feeding Guide
- For information about Baby Massage, Bosom Buddies, Mellow Groups etc held at Bright Beginnings, visit Bright Beginnings
- For more information on Incredible Years Parenting Groups (2 - 13 years), visit Kindred Family Centre
- ERIC has up to date information about bowel and bladder issues ERIC
- For advice on healthy lifestyles and healthy eating please visit: HIC
- Guille-Allès Library - for information regarding upcoming children's events, to find out about when shiny new books hit the shelves and recommend some great reads for the whole family to enjoy together visit Guille-Alles Library or drop into the first floor of the Library.
- For general health advice visit NHS Website
- If you would like any further information or advice from a Health Visitor, please contact Lukis House Reception on Tel No: 01481 222011, or alternatively email us.
- For Information and advice regarding antenatal and postnatal Groups eg Baby Massage, Incredible Years Parenting Groups and Mellow Parenting Groups, please contact Gill Prigent, Health Visitor Staff Nurse for Groups, on Tel No: 01481 223755.