Health Visiting is a service offered to all families with pre-school children.
Each family has a named Health Visitor who may visit during the antenatal period or begin visiting a day or two after the midwife has discharged the baby.
Health Visiting Guernsey
- Health Visitors offer developmental assessments for babies and young children at key points in their lives - (6 - 8 weeks, 9 - 12 months, 2 years and 3.5 years). They also offer help and advice on a range of issues such as feeding, sleeping, potty training and behaviour management.
- Health Visitors offer a high level of support to families with complex needs as part of a multi-agency package.
- Clinics are held at Lukis House by appointment. Clinic appointments can be booked by parents and carers to have their baby's weight checked at the recommended time for developmental reviews or for help and advice on issues such as feeding, sleeping, behaviour and parental mental health.
- A central help line is available Monday to Friday, 9 - 12 pm on Tel: 707368. Outside of these times, telephone enquiries can be made to Lukis House on Tel: 725241 to make an appointment or to ask a Health Visitor to contact them.
- A Health Visitor visits Alderney up to 3 times a month on a Tuesday, please contact Aileen Underwood on Tel: 725241 or by email Aileen.Underwood@gov.gg if you wish to make an appointment or discuss any concerns. Notice to Alderney parents [138kb]
- A Health Visitor visits Sark on Wednesday every other month and Herm as and when needed / required.
- Postnatal groups are for parents / carers with babies from 4 weeks old and are held at the Professor Shaw Community Centre, La Rue Maze, St Martins in the Moulin Huet Room. Your Health Visitor will give you dates available on their first home visit or you can contact Lukis House Reception on Tel No: 01481 707368 for alternative dates.
- The Post Natal Group is an opportunity to meet up with other parents and carers and is led by your Health Visiting Team.
- Two sessions are held on a Monday from 1:30 pm until 2:30 pm excluding Bank Holidays:
- The first session is held on the first Monday of the month and covers Baby Safety: including Resuscitation Practices and First Aid.
- The second session covers Baby Massage and Bonding. (Helpful for colic, sleep and relaxation for parent / carer and baby).
- In Guernsey children are offered the Routine Immunisation Schedule as in the UK
- You can view the routine schedule here. Routine Immunisation Schedule [55kb]
- In Guernsey all immunisations given up to 3.5 years are offered by your GP surgery. These are known as the preschool boosters.
- You can read about preschool Immunisations here. Preschool Immunisations Leaflet [694kb]
- You can read about immunisations up to 1 year here. A guide to immunisations up to one year of age
- All routine immunisations are paid for by Health & Social Care.
3.5 Year Booster Immunisations.
- The Health Visiting Team offers 2 pre school booster immunisations of Diphtheria, Tetanus, Polio and Whooping cough (DTaP/IPV) and Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) to children from 3 years 4 months of age as recommended by the Routine Schedule.
- The boosters are offered as part of a developmental review appointment to which you will be invited by letter when your child reaches the correct age. There is no charge for this service.
- The nurses administering these immunisations are trained and used to dealing with children of this age. It is understandable for parents and children to feel anxious but we try our best to ensure that this is done with minimal upset. We do find that children find it less upsetting if they are made aware of what is going to happen. We suggest you tell them they require some medication in their arms before they go to school to make sure that they continue to be healthy. We appreciate that all children are different but most children will be able to understand this.
- It is helpful if children wear clothes that can be easily removed to expose the top of their arms.
- We recommend you read about these vaccines and read the product information before you bring your child to clinic. You can read the vaccine product information leaflets here MMR Product Information Leaflet [188kb] and DTaP/IPV Product Information Leaflet [127kb]
- More information about the vaccines can be found in the leaflet about preschool immunisations here Pre School Immunisation Leaflet [772kb]
- You can also see information on the NHS immunisation website here MMR and DTP/IPV
- If you have any questions about these or any other immunisations please contact us at Lukis House on Tel No: 725241 ext no: 5286. We will be happy to answer your questions and give advice.
- The BCG vaccine (which stands for Bacillus Calmette-Guérin vaccine) is not given as part of the routine childhood schedule. In Guernsey (as in the UK) it is only given when a child or adult is thought to have an increased risk of coming into contact with TB.
- More information on the BCG vaccine can be found here. NHS Immunisation Website-TB
- You can view the leaflet TB, BCG Vaccine and your baby here. TB,BCG vaccine and your Baby Leaflet. [258kb]
- You can read the Vaccine Product Information here. BCG vaccine product Information [286kb]
- The Lullaby Trust raises awareness of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), provides expert advice on safer sleep for babies and offers emotional support for bereaved families The Lullaby Trust
- The following website gives advice on safety issues eg burns and scalds, button batteries, choking, toy safety and safety in the home and garden Child Accident Prevention Trust (CAPT)
- To find a list of pre-schools (and those offering 15 free hours free pre-school education) and nursery list, visit States Early Years Team
- This website has real strategies and tools to tackle fussy eating and create happy mealtimes Child Feeding Guide
- For information about Baby Massage, Bosom Buddies, Mellow Groups etc held at Bright Beginnings, visit Bright Beginnings
- For more information on Incredible Years Parenting Groups (2 - 13 years), visit Kindred Family Centre
- The ERIC website has up to date information about bowel and bladder issues ERIC
- For general health advice visit NHS Website
- For advice on healthy lifestyles and healthy eating please visit: HIC
- If you would like any further information or advice from a Health Visitor, please contact Lukis House Reception on Tel No: 01481 707368 between 8.30 am - 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday.
- For Information and advice regarding antenatal and post natal Groups eg Baby Massage, Incredible Years Parenting Groups and Mellow Parenting Groups, please contact Gill Prigent, Health Visitor Staff Nurse for Groups, on Tel No: 725241 Ext: 5277 or alternatively email us.