The Health Visiting Service is a universal service offered to all families with pre-school children.
The Health Visiting Service
Every family has a Health Visitor who you may meet during the antenatal period and who will visit you when your baby is 10 - 14 days old.
You can find out more about our service in our leaflet which you can view here. Health Visiting Service Leaflet [670kb]
Health Visitors offer developmental assessments for babies and young children at key points in their lives (6 weeks, 9 - 12 months, 2 - 3 years and 3 1/2 years). In addition, Health Visitors offer help and advice on a range of issues such as feeding, sleeping, potty training Guide to Potty Training Leaflet [1Mb] and behaviour management. For more in depth information, please refer to the following leaflets. Now Your Child is 9 - 12 Months old [501kb], Now Your Child is 2 - 3 Years Old [710kb], Now Your Child is 3 1/2 Years Old [609kb] Health Visitors can also refer your child to other services such as Audiology, Orthoptist, Paediatricians, Dietician, Physiotherapy and Speech & Language Therapy.
We also hold weaning information groups. Please contact Anne Falla on Tel No; 707611 between 1 pm and 5 pm, Monday to Friday, to book a place. Start for Life - Weaning information Healthy Eating for Pre-school Children Leaflet [810kb] Snippets on Snacks [225kb], 5532 a day, Gagging versus Choking [285kb],
At times families may need extra support, you can contact the Service at any time between 8:30 am - 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday and speak to a Health Visitor or attend a free Drop-in Community Baby Clinic. We are aware that good mental health is important for all members of your family and will routinely ask you about you and your partner's mental health status.
For families with complex needs, Health Visitors offer a high level of support usually as part of a multi-agency package.
Community Baby Clinics are run by Health Visitors to provide parents / carers with an opportunity to access information on any health issues eg child development, growth and minor ailments. These are held weekly at 5 venues throughout the Island and are open to anyone who wishes to discuss their child's health. There is no cost to attend and there is no need for an appointment, just drop in.
You can view the times we hold Baby Clinics Here. Drop In Baby Clinics [231kb]
A Health Visitor visits Alderney up to 3 times a month on a Thursday and runs a Drop-in Community Baby Clinic at The Butes from 1:30 - 2:30 pm.
A Health Visitor visits Herm as and when needed / required.
- In Guernsey children are offered the Routine Immunisation Schedule as in the UK.
- You can view the routine schedule here. routine immunisation schedule [49kb]
- In Guernsey all immunisations before the pre-school boosters, which are given by the Health Visitors at the 3.5 Year Clinic at Lukis House, are offered by your GP surgery.
- All routine immunisations are paid for by Health & Social Care.
3.5 Year Booster Immunisations.
- The Health Visiting Team offers 2 pre school booster immunisations of Diphtheria, Tetanus, Polio and Whooping cough (DTaP/IPV) and Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) to children when they are about 3.5 years old.
- The boosters are offered as part of a developmental review appointment. There is no charge for this service.
- You will be invited to attend a clinic at Lukis House by letter.
- You can view a copy of this letter here. 3.5 Clinic Appointment letter [302kb]
- The nurses administering these immunisations are trained and used to dealing with children of this age. It is understandable for parents and children to feel anxious but we try our best to ensure this is done with minimal upset. We do find that children find it less upsetting if they are made aware of what is going to happen. We suggest you tell them they require some medicine in their arms before they go to school to make sure that they continue to be healthy. We appreciate that all children are different but most children will be able to understand this.
- If the person attending clinic with the child does not have parental responsibility i.e is being brought by another family member or friend please complete the form posted with your appointment letter stating that you are happy for your child to receive their immunisations.
- Information about the vaccines offered can be found on the NHS immunisation website- MMR DTaP/IPV
- You can read the vaccine product information leaflets here MMR Product Information Leaflet [188kb] DTaP/IPV Product Information Leaflet [127kb]
- We recommend that you read about these vaccines before you bring your child to clinic.
- If you have any questions about these or any other immunisations please contact us at Lukis House on Tel No: 725241 ext no: 5286. We will be happy to answer your questions and give advice.
- The following website gives advice on safety issues eg burns and scalds, button batteries, choking, toy safety and safety in the home and garden Child Accident Prevention Trust (CAPT)
- To find a list of pre-schools (and those offering 15 free hours free pre-school education) and nursery list, visit States Early Years Team
- For information about Baby Massage, Health Visitor Drop-in Clinic, Great Expectations, Bosom Buddies, Mellow Groups etc held at Bright Beginnings, visit Bright Beginnings
- For more information on Incredible Years Parenting Groups (2 - 13 years), visit Kindred Family Centre
- The ERIC website has up to date information about bowel and bladder issues ERIC
- For general health advice visit NHS Website
- If you would like any further information, please contact us at Lukis House on 01481 725241 our opening hours are 8.30 am - 5.00 pm.
- For Information and advice regarding antenatal and post natal Groups eg Baby Massage, Incredible Years Parenting Groups and Mellow Parenting Groups, please contact Gill Prigent, Groups Facilitator, on Tel No: 725241 Ext: 5277.