The official website for the States of Guernsey


St Peter Port & St Sampson
Blue Bag
Clear Bag
Food Waste
Black Bag
Glass Bag

All Other Parishes
Blue Bag
Clear Bag
Food Waste
Black Bag
Glass Bag
More Information
weather iconSome patchy cloud likely at first, otherwise sunny.
5 day forecastTide timetables
Sign In

Pet Travel Scheme

Share this page

Information about pet travel to and from Europe from 1st January 2021.

Please note, all animals imported into the Bailiwick of Guernsey from Third Countries must be pre-notified in writing to the Office of Environmental Health and Pollution Regulation. See "Animal Import Notification" for more information. 

This guidance applies to people travelling to and from the EU with their pet cats, dogs or ferrets, including assistance dogs.

Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales), including the Channel Islands and Isle of Man, became a Part 2 listed third country under the EU Pet Travel Scheme on 1st January 2021.

  • Travelling to the EU

    • The guidance provided by the UK Government for people travelling with their pets (cats, dogs & ferrets) and assistance dogs to Europe also applies to pet owners in the Bailiwick of Guernsey. For that reason, the States Veterinary Officers advise that pet owners follow this link for the most up to date information.
  • Return to the Bailiwick from the EU

    • Your pet must have one of the following documents when returning to the Bailiwick:
      • A valid Pet Passport if travelling from a 'part 1' listed country (EU member states, Andorra, Switzerland, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City State) or if it was issued in GB before 01/01/2021 (will become obsolete after expiry) or
      • An Animal Health Certificate (AHC) issued in the Bailiwick used to travel to the EU (which you can use up to four months from the date of issue) or
      • A Great Britain pet health certificate,if you're travelling from a 'Part 2' or 'not listed' country, or a 'Part 1' country that does not issue pet passports.
    • Your pet will not need this documentation if it is entering Guernsey from:
      • The UK
      • The other Channel Islands
      • Northern Ireland
      • The Isle of Man
    • Further details can be found on the following link.
  • Bailiwick of Guernsey nationals living in the EU

    • If you're living in the EU and plan to travel with your pet using a UK-issued pet passport, you should speak to your vet in the EU. They'll help to ensure you're compliant with EU Pet Travel Regulations.
    • If you have a pet passport issued by an EU member state, your EU address is in the passport and your pet's rabies vaccinations are up to date, you can use it to bring your pet to and from the Bailiwick of Guernsey.
      • (Note that UK and Channel Island vets will no longer be permitted to make official entries in an EU pet passport so future rabies boosters would have to be done by an EU vet.)
  • Find an Official Vet

    • All of Guernsey's veterinary practices has at least one official vet who can sign pet travel documentation. Please request that you see a vet who is qualified to sign your documentation. If in doubt, please contact the States Veterinary Officers (tel: 01481 221161, email:
  • Commercial Pet Movements 

    • A specific import licence will be required for commercial movements of pets from the EU and non-EU countries. An application form is available here
    • A commercial health certificate will also be required to bring your pet(s) into the Bailiwick of Guernsey. Please contact the States Veterinary Officers for information on commercial pet movements (tel: 01481 221161, email: 
    • To understand the difference between commercial and non-commercial pet travel, please follow this link.


Animal Import Notification Commercial vs Non-Commercial Pet Travel

Share this page

Useful Pages

Add To Home

To add this page to the homescreen of your phone, go to the menu button and "Add to homescreen".

The menu button may look like
Three Dots or Box with an Arrow *some browsers' menu buttons may vary.