The 10-year Active 8 Plan for Sport was approved by the States in 2020, and is the inaugural island-wide Sports and Physical Activity Strategy to be supported by Government.
It is intended to be a practical plan - outlining what we as a community need to do in order to Create opportunity; Build Community; and Support Excellence in sport and physical activity. It highlights the aims and aspirations to support and grow physical activity and sport on Guernsey to achieve a healthier and happier community through eight clear objectives:
- Encourage more islanders to be more active, more often;
- Inspire all generations to get 'Active for Life';
- Use sport and physical activity to improve health, mental health and well-being;
- Maintain, develop and improve accessible facilities;
- Support the provision of safe and secure Club environments;
- Make accessible open spaces;
- Support high performance athletes;
- Inspire community engagement through volunteering.
Sport and physical activity are an integral part of our community life. From a bike ride in the park, to a dog walk on the cliffs; and from island representation at the Island or Commonwealth Games, to country representation at the Olympics or a World Championships. It is part of us - it is part of our local culture and identity. It is also essential to recognise the significant health and wellbeing benefits that sport and physical activity bring.
With appropriate and adequate funding in sport and physical activity, the aim is to work with partners inside and outside of government to change lives for the better - with an overarching aspiration that everyone, regardless of age, background or ability level, has the opportunity and pathway available to them to be active and participate in sport at whatever level they wish to excel at.