The official website for the States of Guernsey


St Peter Port & St Sampson
Blue Bag
Clear Bag
Food Waste
Black Bag
Glass Bag

All Other Parishes
Blue Bag
Clear Bag
Food Waste
Black Bag
Glass Bag
More Information
weather iconShowers, some heavy with a risk of hail and thunder, becoming isolated early morning. Increasingly sunny later.
5 day forecastTide timetables
Sign In

Applying for permissions

Contact Us - Planning and Building

Share this page

Planning and Building Control process and determine applications in accordance with the requirements of Land Planning and Development Law and Building Regulations. This page provides information regarding submitting an application for planning permission along with information regarding the application process.

For information about applying for Building Control Licences please visit

If you are unsure whether your proposals need planning permission, frequently asked questions, advice and guidance can be found here.

If you wish to comment on a planning application then review commenting on or objecting to a planning application.

Please note that applications for planning permission are separate to applications under Building Regulations.

  • Pre-application Enquiries

    • The Planning Service welcomes and encourages the submission of pre-application enquiries and is committed to providing reliable pre-application advice as part of a positive and proactive service. The pre-application service is free and provides many benefits should you be thinking of submitting a planning application in the future.
    • You can request advice regarding:
      • Whether planning permission is required, (Exemption Queries);
      • Requests for advice on planning proposals (i.e. whether what you are proposing is likely to be acceptable under planning policy);
      • EIA screening- (some development may require an Environmental Impact Assessment. The pre-application enquiry service can provide you with advice on whether your proposal is one of these projects).
    • How do I request pre-application advice:
    • You or your agent will need to complete the Pre-application enquiry form [731kb] to submit your request in writing. Please note if you are using an agent all future correspondence relating to your proposal will be sent to them. Detailed guidance on the pre-application process is available in the Pre-application advice service Guidance Note [129kb].
    • Please note that all pre-application advice given is entirely without prejudice to the consideration of a formal application under the Land Planning and Development (Guernsey) Law, 2005 (as amended).
    • Building Regulations:
    • Planning permission is separate to licenses issued under Building Regulations. If a building licence is required, a separate application complete with full construction details and specification must be made to Building Control either concurrently, or more likely, after planning permission has been granted. Requirements under the Building Regulations are outlined in pdf icon PN1 - Do I need permission for my Development [184kb].
  • Making a Planning Application - Form and Guidance

    • If you are unsure whether your proposals need planning permission, frequently asked questions, advice and guidance can be found here.
    • To apply for planning permission, please complete the Planning Application Form [1010kb] .
    • We have produced guidance regarding making a planning application [350kb] to assist you in completing this application.
    • An application should be accompanied by ONE copy of the completed application form, covering letter(s), survey plans (if needed) and all supporting documents and TWO paper copies of plans, drawings and information necessary to describe the proposed development. In addition to this, Professional agents/people acting on behalf of 3rd parties/organisations to also submit ONE electronic copy of the application form and all other plans, drawings, documents etc.
    • If you are not the owner of the property or land please ensure you have owner's authority. You will need to confirm that in the planning application.
    • Planning permission will be required in all cases for changes to Protected Buildings unless the contrary is specifically stated in the exemption. It is recommended that you submit a pre-application enquiry [731kb] if you propose to extend or alter a Protected Building.
    • Site Notice
    • It is necessary for you to display a site notice to advertise your planning application. This will be sent to you on receipt of a valid planning application. Guidance regarding the completion and display of the notice is contained in  Site Notice Procedure [195kb]. Information on the process of publicising a planning application can be found here in  Publicising Applications for Planning Permission. [186kb]
    • Tracking an application
    • You can track the progress of an application online and guidance is contained in Keeping Track of an Application [84kb].
    • Please note that planning application drawings will be available to view by members of the public after the decision has been reached and details are contained in Public Access to Previously Approved Plans document [86kb].
  • Planning Application Fees

    • Fees are charged for planning applications but the costs of this vary depending on the type of proposal, unless you are entitled to an exemption or concession.
    • Payments for applications may be made by cheque or BACS.
    • Payments can also be made by credit or debit card at the Customer Counter at Edward T Wheadon House, Le Truchot. A receipt should be obtained by customers to add to their application. Card or cash payments cannot be made at Sir Charles Frossard House.
    • American Express, Diners Club or JCB cards cannot be accepted.
    • Cheques may be made payable to "The States of Guernsey".
    • The pdf icon Fees for Planning Applications from February 2024 [1Mb] is available to assist in the calculation of application fees from 5th February 2024.
    • If you require assistance in order to calculate the correct application fee please contact the Duty Planning Officer at or alternatively telephone 01481 226200 between 9am - 4pm Monday to Friday. Your enquiry will then be passed to the duty planning officer and they will contact you directly.
  • Planning Application Decisions

    • You can track the progress of an application online and guidance is contained in Keeping Track of an Application [84kb].
    • All planning applications for development have to be dealt with consistently, in line with planning law and planning policies. The Island Development Plan 2016 contains the planning policies for the Island.
    • See the pdf icon Planning application flow chart [279kb] for details of the application process. Please note that Environmental Impact Assessment applications and those requiring a Planning Covenant will not precisely follow this application process route.
    • A decision on a planning application can be made in one of two ways:
    • 1) Delegated decision: The majority of planning applications are dealt with in this way, whereby authority to make the decision other than in certain specified circumstances is delegated by the Development and Planning Authority to the Head of the Planning Service.
    • 2) Open Planning Meeting Decision: At political level, the decision is taken by the elected members of the Development and Planning Authority at their regular Open Planning Meetings. Applications decided upon in this way may, for example, be particularly contentious or involve a minor departure from the Authority's established policies. A Planning Officer will always make a formal recommendation and offer professional advice to support members in making their decision.
    • There are a number of outcomes from the decision making process and once the decision has been made a decision notice is produced as soon as possible (usually within 3 working days) which is then sent to the applicant, or agent where one has been appointed. Our website will also be updated with a copy of the decision notice following its issue by post.
      • i) Planning permission is granted: subject to conditions (including conditions limiting the period for which the permission is effective). A planning permission may have conditions attached which need to be complied with before works may commence (for example, details of landscaping may be required for approval). There is no fee for an application to discharge a condition. Planning approval normally runs with the land and conditions may continue to apply even once the development has been completed.
      • ii) Outline permission is granted: subject to conditions (that is, planning permission subject to the reservation of particular matters for subsequent approval)
      • iii) Planning permission is refused: as the applicant you have the right to appeal to the Planning Appeals Panel if you disagree with the decision to refuse your application, or a condition attached to a decision to permit your application.
  • Planning Duty Officer

    • Please look at the relevant pages on our website for any planning information you may require. Should you still wish to speak to the Duty Planner please e-mail or alternatively telephone 01481 226200 between 9am - 4pm Monday to Friday. Your enquiry will then be passed to the duty planning officer and they will contact you directly.
    • Please note:
      • The Duty Planning Officer is able to provide general guidance only and cannot provide site specific advice.
      • To discuss an application that you have already submitted please email , telephone 01481 226200 (between 9am - 4pm) or contact us ensuring you quote the application reference.
  • Making Minor Amendments to Planning Permissions

    • In some instances it may be necessary or desirable to amend details approved as part of a planning permission, please see pdf icon PN14 - Guidance relating to Minor Amendments to Planning Permissions [134kb] for information.
    • Please note that this procedure relates only to cases where the development has started in accordance with a valid planning permission or development has not started and the period allowed for a start has not expired.
    • You may wish to submit a pdf icon pre-application enquiry [743kb] in order to establish whether a new planning application is required for the proposed amendments.
    • If you are not the owner of the property or land please ensure you have owner's authority. Please submit the completed and signed pdf icon Owners Declaration [255kb] with your enquiry.
    • A request for a minor amendment must be made in writing, please ensure that:
      • a covering letter includes details of the proposed changes
      • one copy of the amended plans are provided with your request
      • the proposed changes are clearly highlighted on the submitted plans

In addition to planning permission and/or building control licences, certain developments may also require a number of other considerations, plans and assessments.

These include the following:

  • Wildlife friendly gardens and buildings and wildflower meadow advice

    • Since 1st September 2021 the Development & Planning Authority have required all applications for a change of use of land to an alternative use, including extending domestic garden areas, be accompanied by information demonstrating improved biodiversity following change of use. This requirement is in line with the SPG Strategy for Nature which was adopted as Supplementary Planning Guidance in July 2020.
    • The purpose of this latest guidance is to provide Islanders with information and advice on how to protect and enhance biodiversity in their gardens and around their buildings. The guidance provides practical ways in which to achieve this and provides signposting to other avenues where information and advice can also be obtained. It is not designed to be prescriptive but instead gives practical ideas of what Islanders may want to consider. In addition advice has also been published in relation to the creation of wildflower meadows suggesting some approriate species depending upon the chracteristics of the existing land.
  • Construction Environmental Management Plan (CEMP)

    • A Construction Environmental Management Plan (CEMP) is a document which sets out proposals and aims for managing the impacts of the construction phase of a development.
    • CEMP is typically used for larger developments and the following are likely to require a CEMP:
      • Any project requiring an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) or screening opinion under schedules 1 & 2 of the Land Planning and Development (Environmental Impact Assessment) Ordinance, 2007
      • Significant industrial facilities that e.g. contain manufacturing processes
      • Larger residential and commercial development projects (e.g. housing development of 20+ units of accommodation, office development of more than 1,000sq m)
      • Any other project deemed by the Development & Planning Authority as presenting an environmental risk warranting a CEMP
    • The purpose of a CEMP is to;
      • Provide effective, site-specific procedures and mitigation measures to monitor and control environmental impacts throughout the construction phase of the project
      • Ensure that construction activities so far as is practical do not adversely impact amenity, traffic or the environment in the surrounding area
    • An advice note has been prepared by the Planning Service in conjunction with the Office of Environmental Health and Pollution Regulation (OEHPR). This provides technical guidance relating to the general aspects that should be considered within a CEMP. pdf icon Advice Note 8 [333kb]
    • A CEMP is a public document and, once approved by the Authority, it will be made available to other parties on request. The effect of a development on the public (e.g. occupants of domestic residences and workplaces) is a key consideration of the CEMP but public consultation is not a requirement of the submission and responsibility remains with the Authority to determine the suitability of the CEMP. A CEMP is not intended to safeguard private interests from construction activities. Applicants/developers are, however, encouraged to engage with parties that are likely to be affected by their development and to provide information regarding the project and how it's impact will be managed.
  • Site Waste Management Plan

    • A Site Waste Management Plan is a framework which details the amount and type of waste that will be produced on a construction site and how it will be minimised, reduced, recycled on and off the site, and how the remaining waste will be disposed of, in order to ensure that appropriate environmental management practices are followed during the demolition and construction phases of development. The details in the Site Waste Management Plans provide valuable information so that the States can monitor what happens to construction waste, what barriers there may be to waste minimisation as well as informing the Island's future needs for waste disposal.
    • If you are applying for planning permission for development which involves any of the following, you need to prepare a Site Waste Management Plan to submit with your planning application, and it will be necessary to provide information to the Development and Planning Authority (DPA) on completion of the development:
      • Development of five or more dwellings;
      • Any development with a minimum floorspace over 1,000 square metres;
      • Any development that involves the demolition and redevelopment of a redundant building;
      • Any development which involves the demolition and redevelopment of a dwelling which has planning permission to be subdivided;
      • A replacement dwelling on a one for one basis.
      • pdf icon A Planning Advice note for Site Waste Management Plans [525kb] has been prepared by the Planning Service to give further information on fulfilling the requirements of the Island Development Plan in preparing Site Waste Management Plans. The Advice Note contains simple interactive forms designed to provide valuable information about construction waste and to help meet the requirements for a Site Waste Management Plan. Should you require any further information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Planning Service on 01481 226200 or contact us.
  • Mix, type and internal space standards for new dwellings

    • In accordance with planning policies in the Island Development Plan, 2016, where housing proposals can accommodate a variety of dwellings, it will normally be expected that the mix and type of dwellings is reflective of the demographic profile of households requiring housing.  In establishing the mix and type of dwellings required, the Authority will take into consideration the information produced by other States' Committees relating to this issue, such as the most recent States Strategic Housing Indicator or any subsequent revised or amended document and any other relevant data or relevant direction by the States of Guernsey.
    • More information on the current housing mix and type requirements can be found here: pdf icon The States Strategic Housing Indicator 2023-2027 [1Mb]
    • The Department for Communities & Local Government document - Technical housing standards - nationally described space standard - can be found here:  pdf icon Internal Space Standards for New Dwellings [330kb]:
    • This DCLG standard deals with internal space within new dwellings. The standard does not apply specifically in Guernsey but represents current best practice in England and should therefore be considered when developing new housing in Guernsey under the policies of the IDP. Please note that paragraph 9 is not relevant to Guernsey due to differences in the Building Regulations between the jurisdictions. 
  • Development within Agriculture Priority Areas which is not for agriculture purposes

    • Agriculture Priority Areas (APAs) encompass Guernsey's most valuable large areas of contiguous agricultural land and other areas well related to established agricultural operations. The APA's are not intended to safeguard land for agricultural use if it is not appropriate or not required for that purpose. Whilst the focus in these areas is generally to support agricultural operations, the APAs are broadly drawn and include areas of land and sites which are not currently used for agricultural purposes and could not be expected to contribute positively to commercial agriculture in the future. Policies therefore allow for other forms of development where this would not have an unacceptable impact on commercial agriculture. Although APA's are not protected exclusively for agricultural use and agricultural development, within these areas particular consideration should be given to the impact of proposed development on agriculture.
    • Island Development Plan policies allow for the principle of extension, alteration and redevelopment of some existing uses falling within APAs, where this is within their existing curtilages. In some instances, specifically Policies OC7, OC8(B), OC9, GP15 and IP1, provision of other forms of development within or adjacent to the identified APAs may be acceptable where it is demonstrated that the site cannot positively contribute to the commercial agricultural use of an identified APA or cannot practically be used for commercial agricultural use without adverse environmental impacts (for example by having to demolish hedge banks or landscape features). These policies however place the onus on the applicant to demonstrate this requirement.
    • When assessing if a particular site or land parcel can make a positive contribution to the commercial agricultural use of an identified APA, the following matters could be taken into account:
      • What the requirements of the agricultural industry are at the time;
      • The condition of the land (e.g. the grade and depth of the soil, any contamination, whether it is able to be used for agriculture or if not what may be required to make it available for cultivation or grazing);
      • Whether the land can be used for agriculture without adverse environmental impacts;
      • The size of the site/piece of land;
      • How the site/piece of land relates to existing agricultural holdings;
      • Access;
      • Topography (including slope, gradient, etc);
      • Flooding/Drainage;
      • The nature of the proposed use (will the proposed use allow the long term use of the land for agriculture to remain).
    • The above list is for illustrative purposes and is not intended to be exhaustive.
  • Al-fresco Licence Applications

    • Applications for "al-fresco" licences are made to the Royal Court under the Public Highways (Temporary Closure) Ordinance, 1999, as amended (the "Ordinance").
    • The al-fresco licence application must contain the following:
    • (a) the full name and address of the applicant;
    • (b) the location of the area of the public highway for which the application is made ("proposed area"); and
    • (c) full details of-
    • I. the purpose,
    • II. the hours of the day, and
    • III. the days of the year,
    • for which the "al-fresco" licence is being sought.
    • Under the Ordinance, at least 28 clear days prior to the date in which the application is made to the Royal Court, an applicant must send a notice containing specific details (see below) of the proposal to:
      • The Parish Constables of the Parish in which the proposed area is located
      • The Committee for the Environment & Infrastructure - Traffic & Highway Services (located at Bulwer Avenue, St Sampson)
      • The Committee for the Environment & Infrastructure - Planning Service (located at Sir Charles Frossard House, St Peter Port)
      • The Health and Safety Executive (on behalf of the Committee for Economic Development) (located at Raymond Falla House, St Martin)
      • The Committee for Home Affairs (located at Sir Charles Frossard House, St Peter Port)
    • The details to be supplied include:
    • 1) A plan, drawn to scale, showing the proposed dimensions and layout of the proposed area, indicating positioning of tables, seating and other items of furniture and any means of marking the extent of the proposed area;
    • 2) A full description of the tables, seating and other items of furniture proposed to be placed in the proposed area, which may include photographs, drawings or other visual representations;
    • 3) Full details of any proposed screening, awnings or other means of enclosure and of any other fixtures and fittings;
    • 4) Full details of the date and time of the proposed application.
    • On two weekly occasions prior to the proposed application, an applicant shall cause a notice to be published in La Gazette Officielle setting out the details required in the notice above and a statement indicating that further details of the proposed application, including plans, may be inspected at the premises of the Constables of the Parish in which the proposed area is situated.
    • Unless an "al-fresco" licence is already in force in respect of the proposed area, an applicant shall cause a notice containing the details set out in the Gazette Notice to be affixed on or near premises in the vicinity of the proposed area in question in such a manner as to be easily read by a person in a public place adjacent to those premises for 14 clear days prior to the date of the proposed application. An applicant in respect of a proposed area which is not adjacent to premises over which he exercises control is not required to comply with this requirement.
    • The Committee for the Environment & Infrastructure will, along with the other bodies mentioned above to which notice must be sent, provide reports for presentation to the Royal Court. Notice should be sent separately to Traffic & Highway Services (located at Bulwer Avenue, St Sampson) and the Planning Service (located at Sir Charles Frossard House) and separate reports will be provided by those Services on behalf of the Committee for the Environment & Infrastructure.
    • The general aim of al-fresco licensing is to increase the enjoyment of locations for visitors and residents by providing additional facilities and improving the atmosphere and attractiveness of outdoor areas. It is intended that outdoor seating and dining areas should provide safe, high quality facilities without undue clutter and without detracting from the character and pleasantness of an area.
    • Potential matters to be addressed in reports provided by Traffic & Highway Services and the Planning Service on behalf of the Committee for the Environment & Infrastructure may include:
      • Maintaining unobstructed access for pedestrians and other traffic
      • Maintaining unobstructed emergency exits/means of escape from buildings
      • Adequacy of toilet facilities
      • Avoiding hazard to public safety
      • Visual impact of an al fresco facility in the location proposed
      • Extent and means of marking of the al fresco area
      • Design and appearance of tables, seating and other items of furniture
      • Details of any proposed screening, awnings or other means of enclosure
      • Avoiding poor quality, cluttered or obtrusive elements
      • Controls on signage or other advertising material
      • Ensuring that approved items are removed outside of the permitted al fresco period
      • The above is general guidance only and does not constitute legal advice. Applicants are advised to refer to the relevant Legislation; link to the Guernsey Legal Resources website: The Public Highways (Temporary Closure) Ordinance, 1999.
  • Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA)

    • IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note the guidance in this section is under review following the change in government structure and will be updated shortly.
    • Since April 2009, it has been a legal requirement in Guernsey for certain types of development project to undergo EIA pdf icon PN4 Brief guide to EIA [331kb] before a decision is made on whether consent should be given. EIA and preparation of an accompanying Environmental Statement is the responsibility of the applicant.
  • Contaminated Land Guidance

  • Traffic Engineering Guildelines

  • Conversion of a redundant building

    • When considering conversion of a redundant building Outside of the Centres, the relevant policies of the Island Development Plan (primarily Policy GP16(A) Conversion of Redundant Buildings) require a number of issues to be addressed, and to achieve this it is necessary to provide a greater level of information than is ordinarily required as part of a planning application.  The Authority has therefore set out a summary of the information typically required to support such applications and this can be found at the link below.


GN 18 - Inspection Booking App

Share this page

Useful Pages

Add To Home

To add this page to the homescreen of your phone, go to the menu button and "Add to homescreen".

The menu button may look like
Three Dots or Box with an Arrow *some browsers' menu buttons may vary.