On this page you can download the latest information on population, employment, unemployment and earnings.
- At the end of June 2018, Guernsey's population was 62,734.
- The population increased by 0.52% (325 people) over the year ending 30th June 2018, compared to a decrease of 0.29% over the year ending 30th June 2017.
- There was a natural decrease of 65 people and net migration of 390 people over the year ending 30th June 2018.
- Guernsey's population is forecast to increase to a maximum of 64,000 people by 2034. Beyond this point the population is projected to fall, declining to 59,000 by 2065.
Annual percentage change in total population:
The latest bulletins are available to download. More background information can be found below.
- The Electronic Census Report replaced the Annual Population Bulletin in 2015. It is published annually and contains a comprehensive collection of population snapshots and trends derived from administrative sources along with projections provided by the UK Government Actuaries Department. A Quarterly Population, Employment and Earnings Bulletin is also published, providing updates of headline figures and trends between the annual reports.
- The last census in Guernsey was held on 29th April 2001. A reliable method for counting the population using administrative records was developed in 2006 and has subsequently been developed upon via the Rolling Electronic Census Project.
- As a result of the Project, comprehensive Guernsey population statistics are available more frequently than in other jurisdictions and at a lower cost. The first collection of information, which was published in the Electronic Census Report in March 2015, includes a breakdown of population by parish, school catchment and voting district along with a host of other information in addition to regular updates to population trends.
- The Labour Market Bulletin provided an overview of Guernsey's labour market. It provided data on numbers in employment, employment by sector, employment by gender, unemployment and numbers of employers.
- It was compiled using information from the States of Guernsey Social Security Department on contributions and claimants.
- The Labour Market Bulletin was published until December 2015 and has since been replaced with the Quarterly Population, Employment and Earnings Bulletin. Past reports can be found in the Archive section.
- The Guernsey Earnings Bulletin monitored average earnings of all employees in the Bailiwick (excluding Sark) and provided breakdowns of average earnings by age, gender and sector.
- The data was supplied by the Social Security Department and included only employed individuals. The averages reported related to individuals (not households) and included full and part-time workers, so the trends may have been affected by the number of hours worked as well as rate of pay. Only income from primary employment was included. Incomes from self-employment, secondary employments and other non-earned sources were not included. This provided a measure of the underlying trend and change in earnings.
- The Annual Earnings Bulletin was published until 2015, and has since been replaced with the Quarterly Population, Employment and Earnings Bulletin. Past reports can be found in the Archive section.
See the provisional 2019 release dates [150kb] to find out when the next update of these figures is due.
If you would like to receive an email and/or text notification when the next version of this bulletin becomes available (or you wish to stop receiving those notifications), please log in or register here. To find out how Data & Analysis process your personal data if you sign up for notifications or in the production of national statistics you can read our Fair Processing Notice [213kb].