The official website for the States of Guernsey


St Peter Port & St Sampson
Blue Bag
Clear Bag
Food Waste
Black Bag
Glass Bag

All Other Parishes
Blue Bag
Clear Bag
Food Waste
Black Bag
Glass Bag
More Information
weather iconCloudy with occasional rain becoming persistent, sometimes heavy, clearing early afternoon to sunny periods and the chance of a squally shower. Clear periods and squally showers overnight.
5 day forecastTide timetables
Sign In

Road Works

Contact Us - Traffic and Highway Services

Share this page

This page provides details of current and upcoming road works. It also provides information on applying to undertake works and holding events on the public highway.


A webmap showing current and upcoming road works projects can be viewed here:  Road Information map.

A list of current and upcoming road works projects can be viewed here: Summary Traffic Report.

  • Road Works Coordination

    • Road works are an inevitable consequence of the need to improve roads or to maintain the services that are needed by households and businesses. Roads may also be closed or obstructed to allow roadside works to be undertaken, such as tree felling, wall repairs or deliveries to and from premises.
    • The States will co-ordinate works in such a way as to minimise disruption to road users, and at the same time give the public as much information as possible.
    • As well as sending out regular updates to the media, road works are publicised on our Road Information Map (Trafficworx).  
    • Process
    • As soon as an application for a road works project is received it is entered onto the Trafficworx system (or in the case of the utilities and road maintenance they are entered directly on to the system).   However, the application will only be displayed once the application has been considered against the Roadwork Policies (available to download) and initial approval had been granted.
    • Nearer to the time of the closure, further information may be added to our webmap, Road Information Map (Trafficworx),, such as one-ways or diversion routes required to manage traffic.
  • Safety at Street Works and Road Works

    • The 'Safety at Street Works and Road Works' Code of Practice, which is based on the UK Department of Transport "Red Book", provides guidance and information in respect of works taking place on or adjacent to the public highway in the island.
    • A copy is available for download here:  pdf icon Safety at Street Works and Road Works [3Mb]
  • Road Work Updates

    • Currently, Traffic and Highway Services distribute regular Alerts and Updates to media organisations, commercial road users and emergency service providers, which provide up-to-date information on road closures and traffic management arrangements. This information is also posted to our Twitter feed @GsyTraffic and on our Facebook page.
    • Please click on the following link for details of the current and upcoming road works: Summary Traffic Report
  • Applying to undertake works or obstruct the Public Highway

    • Anyone wishing to undertake any works or obstruct the Public Highway requires a permit.   To obtain a permit, please complete the pdf icon Road Works - Traffic management application form [370kb].
    • Initial requests can also be made to Traffic and Highway Services via Email to or Tel: 223400.
    • Anyone who wishes to undertake a project in the road should be aware that there are minimum periods of notice that must be given to Traffic and Highway Services, detailed below.   These have been set to allow the time required for planning, coordination, consultation with interested parties and media notification.
      • Traffic Management - Minimum* Notification Periods
        Road TypeRoad ClosedTemporary Lights /
        One-way / Contra flow
        Road Obstruction /
        Parking Suspended
        Inter Harbour Route4 weeks2 weeks2 working days
        Traffic Priority Route4 weeks2 weeks2 working days
        Local Circulation Route4 weeks2 weeks2 working days
        Neighbourhood Roads2 weeks2 weeks2 working days
        • In accordance with the Code of Practice, any applications for road work projects involving water, gas, electric, telecommunication, drainage or roads must be made by the utility company or States body concerned.  It will not be acceptable for contractors to make this application on their behalf.
        • Applications for other reasons such as for tree felling, removals, scaffolding, skips etc. must be made in writing (on the appropriate form below) to Traffic and Highway Services These can be emailed ( posted, faxed or brought into the offices at Bulwer Avenue.
  • Emergency Repairs

    • Sometimes Traffic and Highway Services, service providers or private contractors may be required to undertake emergency repairs following failure of services in the road, collapse of retaining walls or banks, wind damage or some other similar unplanned event. Permission for these urgent works to be undertaken must be obtained from the Traffic Services during office hours (8.45am - 5pm Monday to Friday) or from the Guernsey Police when the office is closed.
  • Suspension of Parking

    • Permission can be given by Traffic & Highway Services for approved or disc parking or an unloading bay to be suspended, in which case warning signs are put out and parking is not allowed between the signs for the duration of time specified on the signs.
    • Parking is only suspended if absolutely necessary, for reasons such as to allow work to be carried out on that road, to allow removal lorries to park, or to allow loading or unloading.
    • Requests to suspend parking must be made to Traffic & Highway Services two clear working days in advance of the suspension. If the suspension period is greater than a week further procedures are required and contact should be made with to Traffic and Highway Services on Tel: 223400.
    • Application Form [307kb]
  • Events

    • Please be advised that permission for road closures or traffic management for special events/occasions i.e. weddings, funerals, fetes, hill climbs and athletic races etc. must be obtained from Traffic & Highway Services.
    • Please contact Traffic & Highway Services for further information or download and application form here. pdf icon Special events application form [229kb]
    • Standard conditions for holding events on the public highway can be found here: pdf icon Events - Standard Conditions [346kb]
    • Further guidance on health and safety for an event can be found here:  Health and Safety Executive Guidance



Events - Application Form Events - Standard Conditions Road Works - Traffic management application form Road Works - Permits - Standard Terms and Conditions Road Works - Policies Suspended Parking - Application Form Code of Practice - Safety at Street Works & Road Works Guernsey Motor Rally Policy v2021

Share this page

Useful Pages

Useful Links

Add To Home

To add this page to the homescreen of your phone, go to the menu button and "Add to homescreen".

The menu button may look like
Three Dots or Box with an Arrow *some browsers' menu buttons may vary.