This page includes the latest Guernsey inflation rates, which are published quarterly by the Data and Analysis team, along with access to further related information.
The inflation rates are based on the price changes of a 'shopping basket' of items. The shopping basket and weights are periodically adjusted based on the results of household expenditure surveys. To find out more about the 2018/19 survey, or to volunteer to take part, go to www.gov.gg/hes
Latest inflation figures
- At the end of December 2018, Guernsey's annual inflation, as measured by the changes in the RPIX, was 2.3%. The RPIX, which excludes the mortgage interest payment item, is the principal measure of inflation used by the States of Guernsey.
- The inflation of the "all items" RPI for the year ending December 2018 was 2.4%.
- The latest Inflation Bulletin, which contains more details on RPI and RPIX, can be downloaded from this page, together with Supplementary & Historic Information and the Inflation Calculator (which can work out the RPI or RPIX change over any time period and any value of money you choose e.g. for a rent or maintenance review.
RPI and RPIX
Date RPIX RPI Annual percentage change Index (2008 = 100) Annual percentage change Index (2008 = 100) Sep 2014 1.8 116.3 2.5 113.7 Dec 2014 0.6 115.2 1.2 112.8 Mar 2015 0.8 116.7 1.3 114.3 Jun 2015 1.5 117.6 1.9 115.2 Sep 2015 0.5 116.8 0.7 114.5 Dec 2015 1.0 116.4 1.1 114.0 Mar 2016 0.5 117.3 0.5 114.8 Jun 2016 0.6 118.3 0.4 115.7 Sep 2016 1.1 118.1 0.9 115.5 Dec 2016 1.6 118.2 1.2 115.4 Mar 2017 2.9 120.7 2.4 117.6 Jun 2017 2.8 121.6 2.3 118.4 Sep 2017 2.4 121.0 2.0 117.8 Dec 2017 2.5 121.2 2.4 118.1 Mar 2018 1.9 122.9 2.0 119.9 Jun 2018 2.4 124.5 2.6 121.4 Sep 2018 2.8 124.3 2.9 121.3 Dec 2018 2.3 123.9 2.4 121.0
- More information on inflation targets can be found here and a user guide to Guernsey inflation indices can be downloaded from this page.
- The weightings used in the RPI calculations are periodically updated using information from the Household Expenditure Surveys. A report on the latest of these surveys can be accessed here. To find out more about the 2018/19 survey or to volunteer to take part, go to www.gov.gg/hes.
Latest inflation forecasts
- The Inflation Forecast Bulletin provides 12 month forecasts for the primary inflation measures used in Guernsey: RPIX and RPI. Forecasts are based on historical trends, expectation of inflation in the UK, and forecast movements in the price of key commodities. Forecasts are revised and published on a quarterly basis in the month following Policy and Resources' publication of the Guernsey Inflation Bulletin.
- The latest Inflation Forecast Bulletin can be downloaded from this page.
See the provisional 2019 release dates [151kb] to find out when the next update of these figures is due.
If you would like to receive an email and/or text notification when the next version of this bulletin becomes available (or you wish to stop receiving those notifications), please log in or register here. To find out how Data & Analysis process your personal data if you sign up for notifications or in the production of national statistics you can read our Fair Processing Notice [213kb].