Secondary healthcare refers to services provided by the Office of the Committee for Health & Social Care (HSC) working in partnership with the Medical Specialist Group (MSG), the Guernsey Therapy Group (GTG) and other visiting or off-island providers.
Patients generally access secondary healthcare as a result of a referral from a General Practitioner (GP) or other primary care provider or they may access the service as an emergency, generally via the Emergency Department of the PEH. Guernsey benefits from a consultant-provided service which ensures the highest standards of care are available to Bailiwick residents.
Secondary healthcare on Guernsey has developed over 40 years from a private model delivered by GP practices supported by the States-owned hospital into a model of healthcare that supports the health needs of the population.
As well as the services provided by MSG and GTG, the Bailiwick also receives support from visiting services (such as neurology, haematology, rheumatology, microbiology and renal) provided by UK-based hospitals. The services are funded through the Specialist Health Insurance Scheme from social security contributions paid by individuals and employers.
Medical Specialist Group (MSG) /Secondary Healthcare Contract (SHC)
The first contract with the MSG went live on 1st January 1996. This contract has undergone a number of revisions since this date and the current contract commenced on the 1st January 2018.
An important part of the current SHC was the introduction of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). These were agreed by HSC and MSG to provide continuous assessment of the services provided in four key areas; professional compliance, productivity & quality, patient safety & experience and sustainable service.
For further information on the MSG visit www.msg.gg.
Guernsey Therapy Group (GTG)
The first contract with GTG went live in the late 1990s with the most recent contract variation signed on 1st January 2018.
GTG provide physiotherapy services both within the hospital working closely with the MSG and HSC. GTG work with patients across the entire pathway of care, including provision of some outpatient services.
For further information on GTG, visit www.guernseytherapygroup.com
- As part of the 2018 Secondary Healthcare Contract (SHC) we produce and publish annual Commissioning Intentions that describe how we intend to shape our healthcare services. These describe our priorities for the coming year, the health outcomes we wish to achieve for our local population and demonstrate how we will respond to health needs and clinical priorities.
- The Commissioning Intentions will take into account:
- our strategic health commissioning policies as adopted from time to time,
- public health data compiled or commissioned from time to time,
- our priority setting processes and policies,
- the budget allocations made to HSC in the setting of the Secondary Healthcare Budget and any constraints upon HSC,
- the Committee mandates,
- data, including activity and the impact of activity on the resources required to deliver the Secondary Healthcare Service, and other information deriving from the provisions of the Contract,
- such other matters as HSC may consider relevant in designing and delivering its Commissioning Intentions.
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- A KPI is a way to measure and demonstrate how effectively we are achieving key business objectives. They are used to evaluate our success at reaching critical targets and to help improve services. KPIs are measured throughout the year and are published on an annual basis.
- A private patient is someone who funds their treatment themselves or through their private health insurance. Depending on speciality, private patients may be able to choose which consultant they see and may have some increased flexibility over appointment and treatment times. Private inpatients have access to a private ward which has single en-suite rooms and an "a la carte" menu.
- For MSG's current private patient fee schedule please visit http://www.msg.gg/flexibility-choice and select Private Consultation Charges or e-mail the Finance Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For GTG's current private patient fee schedule please visit: https://www.guernseytherapygroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/2020-Price-List.pdf.
- Some patients may require a level of care that cannot be provided in Guernsey, in which case a referral may be made to a visiting service or a provider based off-island.
- For further information on off-island treatment, please visit www.gov.gg/offislandtreatment