Committee for Economic Development - P.2018/62
The States are asked to decide:-
Whether, after consideration of the Policy Letter entitled "Review of Air Transport Licensing", dated 11th June, 2018, they are of the opinion:-
1. To agree that the Committee for Economic Development be authorised to designate certain air transport routes as "lifeline" routes, i.e. those that are deemed essential to an Island of the Bailiwick.
2. To agree that operators and charterers serving routes designated as lifeline routes by the Committee for Economic Development should remain under the obligation to hold a Guernsey air transport licence.
3. To note that the Committee proposes that it will designate the following routes to and from Guernsey as lifeline routes:
a) Gatwick; and
4. To agree that operators or charterers serving all routes apart from lifeline routes be exempt from the need to hold a Guernsey air transport licence.
5. To agree that the Air Transport Licensing Policy Statement should be amended to enable the protection of routes designated as lifeline routes through the granting of Public Service Obligations, where necessary.
6. To agree to amend the Air Transport Licensing Policy Statement by adopting the draft amended Policy Statement enclosed at Appendix 1 to this Policy Letter.
7. To direct the Committee for Economic Development to review the Air Transport Licensing Policy Statement within a period of five years, and to report back to the States by the end of 2023.
8. To note the Committee for Economic Development's policy for providing air route development support for new routes.
9. To note the Committee for Economic Development's work to establish a Public Service Obligation - along with any necessary funding arrangement - for air services on the Alderney-Guernsey route.
10. To note that while the Alderney-Southampton route is not subject to Guernsey Air Transport Licensing - and therefore outside of the scope of this review - it may be considered for a Public Service Obligation in combination with the Alderney-Guernsey route, should such a combined approach be possible following the tender process, and subject to agreement between the Policy & Resources Committee and the States of Alderney as to the source of funding for this route.