Information on the political structure of the States of Guernsey and the responsibilities of each Committee, Board, Commission and Authority.
Guernsey's parliament as a whole is called 'The States of Deliberation'. You can find out more about States meetings/debates here, your Deputies (States Members) here and further details are available in the Blue Book (previously known as the Red Book) [5Mb].
The States of Guernsey is structured into one Senior Committee, six Principal Committees and several other Committees Boards, Authorities and Commissions. More detail is provided below on their responsibilities and which States Members are members of each. You can also select the thumbnail images to find out which services each Committee is responsible for.
Policy & Resources Committee
- Responsible for leadership and co-ordination of the work of the States, including developing and promoting the States' overall policy objectives and leading the policy planning process
President: Deputy Peter Ferbrache Vice-President: Deputy Mark Helyar Members: Deputy Jonathan Le Tocq Deputy David Mahoney Deputy Bob Murray Head of the Public Service: Mark de Garis
Committee for Economic Development
- Responsible for promotion and development of all sectors of business (e.g. tourism, construction, horticulture, retail, digital, manufacturing, finance), securing and promoting air and sea links, competition and regulation, broadcasting and media, living marine resources (e.g. fishing) tourist information centre
President: Deputy Neil Inder Vice-President: Deputy Steve Falla Members: Deputy Sasha Kazantseva-Miller Deputy Nicholas Moakes Deputy Simon Vermeulen Non-States Members: Andrew Niles [532kb] Antony Mancini [233kb] Committee Secretary: Niki Cleal
Committee for Education, Sport & Culture
- Responsible for education, apprenticeships, sport, leisure and recreation, libraries, museums, galleries and heritage, archaeology, the arts, Island archives, civic celebrations including Liberation Day.
President: Deputy Andrea Dudley-Owen Vice-President: Deputy Sam Haskins Members: Deputy Susan Aldwell Deputy Andy Cameron Alderney Representative Roberts Non-States Member: Advocate Jason Green [1Mb]
Committee Secretary: Esther Ingrouille
Committee for Employment & Social Security
- Responsible for social insurance, pensions, social housing, income support, housing benefit, long-term care insurance, health and safety in the workplace, social inclusion including disability, industrial relations, legal aid.
President: Deputy Peter Roffey Vice-President: Deputy Lindsay de Sausmarez Members: Deputy Tina Bury Deputy Steve Falla Deputy John Gollop Non-States Members: Ross Le Brun [540kb] Mark Thompson [649kb] Committee Secretary: Ellen Pragnell
Committee for the Environment & Infrastructure
- Responsible for planning appeals, strategic use plan, agriculture, farms, animal imports/exports, states vet, vale common, traffic signs and lines, bus contract, public service vehicles, driving tests, driving licences, vehicle registrations, road closures, road repairs, renewable energy, waste policy, marine policy, water policy, environmental policy, traffic policy and planning policy.
President: Deputy Lindsay de Sausmarez Vice-President: Deputy Adrian Gabriel Members: Deputy Andy Cameron Deputy Simon Fairclough Deputy Aidan Matthews Non-States Members: Jane Niles Mark Palfrey Committee Secretary: Peter Falla
Committee for Health & Social Care
- Responsible for adult social care, welfare and protection of children, young people and families, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic diseases, illnesses and conditions, mental health, care of the elderly, health promotion, environmental health, public health, extra care facilities at Le Grand Courtil and La Nouvelle Maraitaine.
President: Deputy Al Brouard Vice-President: Deputy Tina Bury Members: Deputy Marc Leadbeater Deputy Aidan Matthews Alderney Representative Alex Snowdon Non-States Members: George Oswald [1Mb] Committee Secretary: Emma Le Tissier
Committee for Home Affairs
- Responsible for crime prevention, law enforcement, justice policy, population management office, immigration, prison and probation, fire and rescue, trading standards, data protection, emergency planning, civil defence, lotteries and gambling and electoral roll.
President: Deputy Rob Prow Vice-President: Deputy Simon Vermeulen Members: Deputy Susan Aldwell Deputy Liam McKenna Deputy Andrew Taylor Non-States Member: Peter Harwood [1Mb] Committee Secretary: Vicky Lajoie
Authorities, Boards and Commissions:
Development & Planning Authority
- Responsible for planning applications, building control, protected buildings, protected trees, Island Development Plan, conservation and design and planning policy.
President: Deputy Victoria Oliver Vice-President: Deputy Andrew Taylor Members: Deputy Chris Blin Deputy John Dyke Deputy Sasha Kazantseva-Miller Director of Planning: Jim Rowles
Transport Licensing Authority
Overseas Aid & Development Commission
States' Trading Supervisory Board
- Responsible for waste disposal, Guernsey and Alderney Airports, Guernsey Dairy, Guernsey Harbours, Guernsey Water, States Works, CI lottery
President: Deputy Peter Roffey Vice-President: Deputy Charles Parkinson Members: Deputy Nicholas Moakes Non-States Members: Mark Thompson [649kb] Simon Thornton [471kb] Managing Director: Simon Elliott
States Assembly & Constitution Committee
Scrutiny Management Committee
- To lead and co-ordinate the scrutiny of committees of the States by reviewing and examining legislation, policies, services and the use of monies and other resources for which committees are responsible.
Civil Contingencies Authority