Information on the political structure of the States of Guernsey and the responsibilities of each Committee, Board, Commission and Authority.
Guernsey's parliament as a whole is called 'The States of Deliberation'. You can find out more about States meetings/debates here, your Deputies (States Members) here and further details are available in the Red Book [4Mb].
It structured into one Senior Committee, six Principal Committees and several other Committees Boards, Authorities and Commissions. More detail is provided below on their responsibilities and which States Members are members of each. You can also select the thumbnail images to find out which services each Committee is responsible for.
Policy & Resources Committee
- Responsible for leadership and co-ordination of the work of the States, including developing and promoting the States' overall policy objectives and leading the policy planning process
- President: Gavin St Pier
- Vice-President: Lyndon Trott
- Members: Al Brouard, Jonathan Le Tocq and Jane Stephens
- Chief Executive: Paul Whitfield
- Chief Strategy and Policy Officer: Steve Wakelin
- Chief Operating Officer: Jason Moriarty
- States Treasurer: Bethan Haines
- Chief Information Officer: Colin Vaudin
Committee for Home Affairs
- Responsible for crime prevention, law enforcement, justice policy, new population management regime (once introduced), immigration, housing control and right to work, prison and probation, fire and rescue, trading standards, data protection, emergency planning, civil defence, lotteries and gambling, electoral roll. These were previously mainly functions of Home and Housing
- President: Mary Lowe
- Vice-President: Vacant(*)
- Members: Victoria Oliver, Marc Leadbeater, Jeremy Smithies, Paul Le Pelley
- Chief Secretary: Adrian Lewis
(*) The election of a Vice-President will take place at the next Committee Meeting.
Committee for Health & Social Care
- Responsible for adult social care, welfare and protection of children, young people and families, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic diseases, illnesses and conditions, mental health, care of the elderly, health promotion, environmental health, public health. These were previously mainly functions of HSSD
- President: Heidi Soulsby
- Vice-President: Rhian Tooley
- Members: Robert Prow, Emilie Yerby, Dawn Tindall
- Non-States Members: Dr Roger Allsopp, OBE
- Chief Secretary: Mark de Garis
Committee for the Environment & Infrastructure
- Responsible for planning appeals, strategic use plan, agriculture, farms, animal imports/exports, states vet, vale common, traffic signs and lines, bus contract, public service vehicles, driving tests, driving licences, vehicle registrations, road closures, road repairs, renewable energy, waste policy, marine policy, water policy, environmental policy, traffic policy and planning policy. These were previously mainly functions of Environment Department
- President: Barry Brehaut
- Vice-President: Mark Dorey
- Members: Shane Langlois, Lindsay De Sausmarez, Sarah Hansmann Rouxel
- Acting Chief Secretary: Steve Wakelin
Committee for Employment & Social Security
- Responsible for social insurance, pensions, social housing, supplementary benefit, housing benefit, long-term care insurance, health and safety in the workplace, social inclusion including disability, industrial relations, legal aid. These were previously mainly functions of Social Security and Housing
- President: Michelle Le Clerc
- Vice-President:Shane Langlois
- Members: Peter Roffey, John Gollop, Emilie Yerby
- Non-States Members: Mr Michael Brown, Mr Andrew Le Lièvre
- Chief Secretary: Malcolm Nutley
Committee for Education, Sport & Culture
- Responsible for education, apprenticeships, sport, leisure and recreation, libraries, museums, galleries and heritage, archaeology, the arts, Island archives, civic celebrations including Liberation Day. These were previously mainly functions of Education and Culture & Leisure.
- President: Matt Fallaize
- Vice-President: Richard Graham
- Members: Rhian Tooley, Peter Roffey, Mark Dorey
- Non-States Member: Mr Richard Conder
- Chief Secretary: Natasha Keys
Committee for Economic Development
- Responsible for promotion and development of all sectors of business (e.g. tourism, construction, horticulture, retail, digital, manufacturing, finance), securing and promoting air and sea links, competition and regulation, broadcasting and media, living marine resources (e.g. fishing). These were previously mainly functions of Commerce & Employment
- President: Charles Parkinson
- Vice-President: Andrea Dudley-Owen
- Members: Joseph Mooney, David de Lisle, Dawn Tindall
- Acting Chief Secretary: Steve Wakelin
Authorities, Boards and Commissions:
Development & Planning Authority
- Responsible for planning applications, building control, protected buildings, protected trees, Island Development Plan, conservation and design and planning policy. These were previously functions of the Environment Department.
- President: Dawn Tindall
- Vice-President: Vacant(*)
- Members: Victoria Oliver, Lester Queripel, Alex Snowdon
- Director of Planning: Jim Rowles
(*)Please note that there is currently a vacancy in the voting membership of the Committee. The election of a Vice-President is therefore deferred until the first meeting following the filling of that vacancy.
Civil Contingencies Authority
- Security and wellbeing in an emergency.
- President of the Policy & Resources Committee, who is the Chairman of the Authority;
- President of the Committee for the Environment & Infrastructure;
- President of the Committee for Health & Social Care;
- President of the Committee for Home Affairs.
- Emergency Planning Officer: Kevin Murphy
Transport Licensing Authority
Overseas Aid & Development Commission
- Distribution of grants and emergency and disaster relief overseas.
- President: Emilie Yerby
- Members: Mr Tim Peet MBE, Mr Steve Mauger, Mr Philip Bodman, Ms Teresa de Nobrega, Miss Judy Moore, Dr Nick Paluch
- Secretary: Liz Dene
States' Trading Supervisory Board
- Responsible for waste disposal, Guernsey and Alderney Airports, Guernsey Dairy, Guernsey Harbours, Guernsey Water, States property assets, States Works, States corporate engineering and architectural services, CI lottery
- President: Peter Ferbrache
- Members: Jeremy Smithies, Jan Kuttelwascher
- Non-States Members: Stuart Falla, John Hollis
- Managing Director: Simon Elliott
States Assembly & Constitution Committee
Scrutiny Management Committee
- To lead and co-ordinate the scrutiny of committees of the States by reviewing and examining legislation, policies, services and the use of monies and other resources for which committees are responsible.
- President:Chris Green
- Vice President:Laurie Queripel
- Member: Jennifer Merrett
- Non-States Members: Mrs Gill Morris, Advocate Peter Harwood, Mr Patrick Firth
- Principal Officer: Mark Huntington