Resolutions are decisions that the States Assembly makes after debating proposals (called Propositions) that are laid before it for consideration by the responsible Committee, Authority, Board or individual Member.
Decisions are reached by way of States' Members voting on the Propositions and where there is a majority of votes in support (of the Proposition) it then becomes a Resolution of the States.
The Resolutions that the States Assembly agrees gives authority and direction to the States Committees, Authorities and Boards.
States Resolutions can be made to deal with a number of different aspects of the work of government such as;
- agreeing to a policy or operational proposal including the use of government resources;
- amending or approving legislation; or
- giving direction for the development of a new or a change to policy.
A Resolution remains outstanding until it is discharged, superseded, rescinded or withdrawn.
Review of States Resolutions
Resolutions are regularly reviewed and progress updated by the responsible Committee, Authority or Board. The information from the reviews is captured in the lists on this page.
Publication of States Resolutions
The publication of States Resolutions ensures that the public can access information on the status of agreed States' initiatives. The States Resolutions have been published in three lists depending on how they have been categorised:
- Outstanding Resolutions [1Mb], which includes extant Resolutions that require further action to enable them to be fully discharged;
- Ongoing Principle Resolutions [678kb], which includes extant Resolutions that require action, however, this action does not have a defined endpoint since they are deemed necessary as ongoing considerations; and
- All other Resolutions [739kb], which includes Resolutions that do not require any further action as they have been either completed, rescinded, or there was no action to be completed. For instance, where the States Assembly has been asked to approve a piece of legislation, or take note of an annual report.